Custom Tank or Not

Well i always like to point out things that have the Cool factor. So if money isn't a huge issue 8 way plumbing are way cool.

Or maybe just the 4way. I know angela short in the nashville club is using one of these(8way). If i was going inwall and could hide the plumbing.. I would have to give this thing a try.

I think that sounds good. I didn't know if the AGA tanks that you were referring to had the megaflows or not. With those already there I think the one suction out the back would be good enough. So then we would need two more holes for the returns, correct? Maybe an enductor (sp?) would be good? I'd say the returns would need to be middle to lower to help that nice white sand stay white. This is good stuff. I am putting together a spreadsheet with all of the costs that are going to be involved as we are adding them to this thread.

Anthony:

Another option just to consider, for the price of three holes an external pump squid etc... you might be better off with just a nice tunze system.

Less electricity, more water flow and less oportunities for leaks.

Just trying to throw out options.
Brandon

Sounds like it is gonna be sweet Anthony! A 120 is such a nice size. I think Bryan is right, those mega overflows give a good turn over rate. Would you have to drill holes for the returns? Couldn't you just plum above the tank and then back down again with those "bendable" black pipe. I think Brandon uses them.
Will only 7" of space above the tank for lights still allow you to use mh?

Brandon - How much was your complete Tunze set-up? I can add that to the spreadsheet. If you want to PM me that is fine. If you don't want to tell me that is fine. Just let me know. I really like that Tunze rock!!

Patrick - It does sound sweet doesn't it? I guess we could plumb above the tank and use that black pipe. That is why I started this thread. Thank for the info. The 7" I am referring to is at the very end of the tank. I may have to go with a 3' MH system. I am going to be using the AquaMedic MH/T5 system. Does anyone know how thick those are?

Thanks again guys!!!! :mrgreen:

I don't care isn't anything people cant find online anyways... the electronic kit with two pumps and controller that can create waves the one I have was around 750. The rocks were 75 each on top of that.

I would also go with seperate pendants and supplemental VHOs/T5s. The all in one big units usually have the ballasts built in and if one fails it all goes. the Aqua Medic 250 Ocean Light pendants are only about 3" deep and have remote ballasts and you could always add on an IceCap Supplemental lighting.

Just some more options.

I visited Tunze's website. I did not know they had prices there. I found a multicontroller kit with two Turbelles for $883. Kind of pricey. I am figuring that into the budget just so I can price high and come down if needed. Thanks for all of the suggestions guys.

Anthony that is the 6100 tunze kits that is some serious flow.....

I have the 6000 tunze kits which runs around 750 for the kit...

Just an FYI.
Brandon

I have gotten a price today for an AGA 120g reef ready tank.

Tank = $470.00
Plumbing = $90.00
Total pkg = $560.00

How does that sound, Bryan? Can you find this set-up any cheaper? Just let me know.

Unless you plan on doing like Bryan did and putting a flow restriction on your drain I would pass on the plumbing kit.

I can make you a much quieter durso stand pipe for 3 bucks of PVC from lowes. Of course you would still have to order the bulkheads which would maybe cost you around 25-35$, but it would be alot better quality and you could save some $$$.

Have you checked to see what oceanics price is? I know they are owned by the same company, but some of the details are just a bit higher quality in my opinion.

Brandon

I can check Oceanic, although I haven't yet.

So you're saying we can build a better drain and return system than they can? If so I am up for it. I like DIY's anyway.

I threw away the one that came with my oceanic... things just sound like a dang waterfall in your living room....

Plus the dulkheads are barbed so it forces you to use hose and you couldn't hard plumb it if you wanted.

Do a search for "Durso Stand Pipe" it basically includes a piece of PVC, a 'T', and a 90 degree elbow. If your familiar with plumbing those cost about 50 cents each. The bulkheads will run you about 6-8 bucks a piece and you will need two larger and two smaller ones.

Here's what I am thinking. The drywall guys are going to sheet rock right over the tank cut-out such there isn't any hold up by me waiting on a tank. So about the middle of November I will get the tank ordered and build a stand from left over material from the house. At that point I'll invite you guys up one day for a tank build. What do you think??

Sounds good.

Me and you can be the Foremen (sit back give orders and drink beer) and we will let Bryan, David, Patrick, etc be the work bees.
:)

It's like you read my mind man....

I checked on the Oceanic tank and they don't seem to make a 120g. It jumps from 90g to 125g. Thanks for the suggestion though.

it is in the show aquariums if you go to there website.

Oceanic Systems

48.5 x 24.5 x 25 120 gallon
20024 - Cherry Oak Tank
20190 - Medium Oak Tank
20650 - Black Oak tank
21035 - Lt Oak tank
10024 - Cherry Oak Combo
10190- Medium Oak Combo
10650 - Black Oak Combo
11035 - Lt Oak Combo

The part numbers are listed above for who ever your getting to give you a quote.

Brandon

Actually it was under the reef ready tanks as well. I am getting Michael to quote these for me. He didn't have that one listed on his price sheet. He's calling to get a price for me. I should know tomorrow.

Back