Custom Tank or Not

Brandon - Can you post a link to the skimmer you purchased?

Bryan - Can you post a link to the one you have?

I'd like to go ahead and get a price for those as well.

Thanks guys.

My Reef Creations--Protein Skimmers I have the MR-2R and had him leave off the quick release, which I highly recommend if your going to run it external, plus it saves you $40.

I'm using the My Reef Creations--Blue Line Water Pumps BL 55HD to drive it.

I'm using the WC-2 My Reef Creations--Protein Skimmer Accessories for my collector.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I'm not going to say this skimmer is the easiest to use as it does require some tinkering from time to time to keep it skimming like I like it, but I still haven't seen a skimmer that if you want to spend the time tuning it that will skim better. WHatever direction you go MRC, EuroReef, ASM, etc... I highly suggest a recirculating style skimmer as it allows you to controll the contact time as well.

Just my :twocents:

Brandon

Well i have alot to catch up on.
As for the tank - that sounds like a really good price. I think that might be dead on cost. I havent gotten a chance to call and check what I can get yet. make sure he did quote you a price for a reef ready? as for the plumbing kits - ignore brandon, as usual he talks about stuff he doesnt understand. the megaflow kits are a durso style drain, and they arent noisy. so get the plumbing kits. and the bulkheads it comes with can be glued PVC or glued nipples, either way. ive used the meegaflow kits on the last 4 overflows ive used and they all were fine. If you can get a oceanic it would be alittle better quality. So try for that.
Skimmers- Im currently using a ETSS 800
ETSS 800
it is a good skimmer, not cheap. I havent had it running very long So no great advice yet. I do have a Euro reef es8-2, I used and wasnt happy with so its in the pile of stuff downstairs. ill sell it if interested. my etss skimmer and brandons MRC are almost identical except mine uses downdraft, and brandons uses becket injectors. mine costs more so mine must be better!:mrgreen:

hope this helps alittle

Like I mentioned earlier in the day...... Bryan needs to be a worker... thinking isn't his strong point and working isn't mine. :)

If it comes with durso pipes then why the hell would you pay 90$ for it when you can make one for 5$? I'm far from the DIY guy as I like things to look good, but come on its in a black box and nothing they give you could work any better.

Last edited:
lets see here. you need two bulkheads per megaflow = 4 total
then you need 8ft of pvc for the returns, 8 ft pvc for the drains, several elbows, several nipples, or pvc couplers, 2 screens, 2 sets of flex tubing for the returns, tools, time to cut, plan and design. several trips back and forth to the hardware store.
just buying the stuff alone to make it would cost more! when was the last time you priced bulkheads and flex tubing?

Don't you have a kite you can go fly?

Yea if you're wanting the flex piece you might as well go ahead and get the ones they sell as it would be abou the same price.

However, I stepped up the design and made it alot better. By making my own drain i had a 1" pipe instead of a 2.5" adjustable one that fits every tank they make, which allowed me to then place a SQWD in the Overlow and have the output flow from one side to the other.

Plus it also appears they have changed their design to a durso stand pipe so we are argueing the same thing kinda, but who cares... we have presented options.

Ironman said:
my etss skimmer and brandons MRC are almost identical except mine uses downdraft, and brandons uses becket injectors. mine costs more so mine must be better!:mrgreen:

Mine is also recirculating. I thought you were kidding about the price.... man I won't even give you a hard time about that. I feel sorry for you thats over 1500 dollars in skimmers at your house that aren't worth there weight at the recycling center. Oh wait I wasn't going to do that... :bounce: :^:

my etss is kicking butt right now, so we will see whos got the better skimmer!
its really hard to compare when we have totally different systems, and mine is in sump right now and yours is external. I did fail to mintion yours is recirculating. woopty freaking :pooh: !

See what happens Bryan. This thread was moving along very nicely until you came in here being a big butt turning this into one of those my skimmer is better than yours threads.

BTW I can blow bubbles into my tank with a McDonalds straw and get more skimmate than your skimmer produces. HEHE.

When would be a good time for some of you to come up and take a look at the tank area? I will take a few pictures tomorrow. Let me know.

:mrgreen:

I could come whenever this weekend. I just don't know when I'm working. I might not be a lot of help but would love to come see the new house and tank site.

Brandon - It seems you are booked every weekend this month. We could shoot for the first of Nov.

Patrick - If I can make it out there Saturday, I'll give you a call. Michael was wanting to see it too.

Speaking of getting booked, Ive got hotel reservations to be at taladega motor speedway October 15-17. and I just got a supena for jury duty Oct 16th.

Some sad news on the homefront. I may not be able to do a tank right now. This is just a preliminary thought at the moment, but with all of the expenses starting to add up there's not much hope on the horizon at this point. Just an FYI since we were planning on meeting and discussing plans. I didn't want to waste everyone's time until I know for sure.

Well if you have to wait a few months thats ok. Kust gives you more time to plan it! Maybe we can plan one together. At least we still have our nanos!!! ;)

Back