cvcdrk's 29g Mini Reef

Nothing interesting to report. Having a bit of a rough patch with this algae problem. I can't seem to get it under control. I created a topic here though so hopefully I get some advice that will work for me:
https://www.livingreefs.com/algae-problem-serious-can-do-get-rid-t42823.html#post579379

Here's some pics. One new addition (Coral-banded shrimp) a few days ago. He's picked out a cave he likes and he mostly hangs around in there. The clown is doing so much better. He's far more active now. The scooter is as good as ever....

And the best news is the Dragon's Eye zoa that I got that I thought was goner for sure ($5) is starting to open up a little bit. It's only a little but I can definitely see it opening....and when just the blue LEDs are on it's now florescent under them and glows a cool green color. Loving it!

No FTS this time because I'm embarrassed with the algae. When I get it under control I will update it.

clownfish4.jpg

algae-glass.jpg

coral_banded.jpg

zoa_opening.jpg

You can just scrape the glass with a razor blade, just make sure not to go near the corners and dont cut yourself. Just to hold you over until you get your magnet/scraper.

I think the biocubes have acrylic, in which case dont use the razor blade because it will scratch the acrylic.

Also be care with the CBS, they are well known for being nice when you first put them in the tank but turning into a terror by going after other inverts and fish. He will make a quick lunch of your scooter blenny. I personally would remove him now, before he becomes a problem

This isnt a biocube. Its a standard 29g.

And i havent read anything that would suggest the scooter would eat a shrimp which is roughly his size. Theres no way to remove him anyway. I guess i will just see how it plays out. So far hes an interesting addition that im happy with.

You dont have to worry about the scooter eating the shrimp, its actually the other way around.

Ive heard pantyhose with food in them will get him tangled up and you can remove him.

No pics today. The polyps I bought have begun to open up each day and now are VERY vivid electric green under the blue lights at night. I can see little tentacles sprouting out, too. I moved it up near the top of the rockwork on its own big rock to give it maximum light and flow. It liked that, too.

All other inhabitants are doing well. The CBS hangs out in the cave in the center almost all the time. That's clearly going to be his territory....doesn't matter to me. The scooter swims through every once in awhile. No fighting...in fact, they don't seem to even notice each other much. The clown stays towards the top of the tank. He eats so well, but doesn't appear to be getting any bigger or plumper. How long to they take to reach full size typically? I figured it would be quicker (as in, I would at least see some noticeable growth after a month).

I'm out of money in the tank budget right now because I am in the process of getting a better job. Have a third interview next week so I am busy right now. As long as I get it, I will then be able to buy cooler tank stuff! :-)

Until next time! :-)

Thanks, Smitty!

It's the third interview and it's been a little while now so I am leaning towards that they're going to offer it to me. I still have to pass another background check and do some other things....but all I can think about it how much more money it will be for buying Aquarium stuff! haha!

I'm still serverly limited for space inside my tiny 600 sq. ft. 1 bedroom apartment with me and my girlfriend, but it would potentially allow me to purchase some things I've really wanted (mp10, reefkeeper lite, down the road an LED lighting system with full spectrum controller and stuff). Maybe even developing a small sump under the stand.

I was feeding today and snapped a few pics. Only like two of them turned out any good but I figured I'd post them anyway. Hopefully when I get a new phone it will have a better camera with a faster shutterspeed. This one is far too slow to catch the Clownfish without it being blurry.

First, my Dragon's Eye. I honestly thought it was going to never open and just die...but I believe I am nursing it back to health. I've been living it a very small squirt of mysis at feeding time every two days or so. Idk if it's actually eating it or not, though.
As you can see, it is definitely looking better. I do not know how quickly things like this grow but I am hoping to achieve at least full-polyp extension by the end of next week.
polyp.jpg

Coral banded shrimp....he's been doing well. He has taken to feeding time really well. He climbs out of his cave bit and moves TOWARDS the Coralife squirter I use when I feed him. He usually gets a tiny squirt of the mysis/blood worm blend and gobbles it right up. He's been pretty fun to look at but otherwise boring so far. He pretty much hangs out in the same spot all the time.
cbs.jpg

Couple of pics of the clownfish. Like I said, impossible to catch him on my crap phone.
clownfish6.jpg

This one came out a little better. It's a little artsy, imo.
clownfish5.jpg

This is the pic that made me get the camera out. A whole lot of life in one little area. You can see my emerald crab (who still hasn't molted), too.
life-1.jpg

Nothing exciting to report.....bought a couple of Astrea Snails from Petco today to keep up with my algae problem. Plus they're a new type of snail and I like variety.

While they were acclimating I was bored so I decided to nap some pics. Still my camera phone, but I touched them all up a bit. This is a cross-post now I hope that is ok.

Coral Banded Shrimp
cbs-1.jpg

Occellaris Clownfish
clown.jpg

Emerald Crab [hiding]
emerald.jpg

Scooter Dragonette
scoot.jpg

Dragon's Eye Polyp
polyp-1.jpg

FTS
fts3.jpg

Right Side
fts2.jpg

Left Side
fts1-1.jpg

Picked up a new frag today!

It was just listed as a Whisker Coral. $4.

The center looks vivid bright green and the tentacles are like seafoam green. It's nice looking. Acclimated it for 2 hours and stuck it on the sandbed.

How does it look?

whisker.jpg

Back