cyano or red slime?

Discussion in 'Reef Fishes' started by jcegt87, Sep 9, 2011.

1. jcegt87

jcegt87 Dude Dude DUDE!!!!!!

ok so my diatoms are under control , shut lights off for 24 hours and had them only on for half the time yesterday plus a 25% water change

but lately i been seeing this on my rocks and at first i thought of sweet , red coralline, but curiosity got to me and i decided to touch it well i slid my finder on some and it just peeled off, so im concerned ive never had red cyano , atleast not this bright, and ive never had red slime

im running some phosban , because honestly i know i been over feeding , kindda hard not to when only one fish eats, i have also reduced his feeding to every other day and i was content when as soon as i fed he darted towards the food :D

but back to the algae what is it and should it decimate now that im running some phosban?

i will be brushing as much as i can right now , another wate change is in session just to be on the safe side of the diatom outbreak
    the only one with bubbles is the second pic
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jcegt87, Sep 9, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. jcegt87

Mr.Diggler Smitten with Sookie

Welcome to the wonderful world of cyano.

Mr.Diggler, Sep 9, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. jcegt87

haha thanks , well ive had cyano just never this bright red always brownish , atleast its not red slime lol, hopefully phosban will help , also good that only the places ive took pics of is where its mostly concentrated

jcegt87, Sep 9, 2011
  4. jcegt87

OH MY GAWD!!! so while doing the water take out from the tank i decided to move the rock just a little , to reorganize the center rock, i move the big one on the left and i see a shell, no prob i take the shell out and talk about sewer water ....the turbo snail that i THOUGHT i had accidently thrown out was stuck under the big rock and apperantly died .....now this leaves me to wonder how the hell my test came out all clear?!?!?! man atleast i found the source of a problem ....

get it off get it off the stench wont come off my hands!!!!!!!!.....maybe i should start wearing gloves when handling my tank

Escargot anyone?hehe

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
    jcegt87, Sep 9, 2011
  5. jcegt87

The cyano was eating all of the nitrates.

Mr.Diggler, Sep 9, 2011
  6. jcegt87

cool well after the 50% water change tank is looking great and cyano dissapered :D hopefully i can keep it at bay

jcegt87, Sep 10, 2011
  7. jcegt87

I hope it stays away for you. Cyano is a P.I.T.A.

Mr.Diggler, Sep 10, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question