Cycling a tank, adding fish and corals

I'd started with 16lbs in my 28 g. last week added another 10lb rock. I'd also had green then brown algae at the height of the cycling. Cycling is right at the end now and it's probably 70% gone away on it's own.

The brown algae is probably diatoms, which is completely normal. Diatoms feed off of silicates, which come in the sand or water. You can make them go away faster by using RODI (not tap) water. Otherwise you just have to wait them out, unfortunately. It's okay to not have enough rock in the beginning. Lots of people add the rock they need over time to spread out their budget.

I did use RO/DI. It is getting slightly better. I notice alot of it go away when I turn off the lights

Also would you say I'm towards the end of my cycle? The tank has been up since may 4th but I have not noticed an ammonia spike but on may 24th I did detect a small nitrite increase but no nitrate increase.

I'd started with 16lbs in my 28 g. last week added another 10lb rock. I'd also had green then brown algae at the height of the cycling. Cycling is right at the end now and it's probably 70% gone away on it's own.

Good to hear your tank is almost ready. Hopefully mine will go away soon.

I did use RO/DI. It is getting slightly better. I notice alot of it go away when I turn off the lights

Also would you say I'm towards the end of my cycle? The tank has been up since may 4th but I have not noticed an ammonia spike but on may 24th I did detect a small nitrite increase but no nitrate increase.

If you used live rock, you may not see any ammonia spike. The nitrite spike is the second part of the cycle, and if nitrites spiked and went back down to zero, then I'd say the cycle is complete. It usually takes about 3 weeks to cycle a tank, so yours is right on track if you set it up on the 4th. If ammonia and nitrite are both at 0, and your nitrates are around 10, you can go ahead and add your first animals -- one or two fish and a clean up crew. If your nitrates are higher than 10, I'd do a water change first.

Just tested and ammonia, nitrate and nitrite all read 0!!! Ph - 8.2, calc - 360, dKH - 8 / 143ppm. Think I'm save to order my CUC now?

Yep, go ahead. Where are you going to order your CUC from? There are a few really good places online. If you want to buy them at your LFS, you get to hand pick the ones you get.

You want a mix of snails -- I'd get one Mexican turbo, half a dozen astaea, half a dozen nassarius, and if they have nerite or trochus snails, get a few of those too. I'd get an emerald crab and a serpent or brittle star too. If you want hermits, you can get a dozen hermits, but they do have a tendency to kill snails, so you will be replacing snails over time.

If you used live rock, you may not see any ammonia spike. The nitrite spike is the second part of the cycle, and if nitrites spiked and went back down to zero, then I'd say the cycle is complete. It usually takes about 3 weeks to cycle a tank, so yours is right on track if you set it up on the 4th. If ammonia and nitrite are both at 0, and your nitrates are around 10, you can go ahead and add your first animals -- one or two fish and a clean up crew. If your nitrates are higher than 10, I'd do a water change first.

Should I wait till the algae clears up on its own to add animals.
Also my salinity is at around 1.021 to 1.022 tested with a hydrometer. I did the tests like 3 times.

No, don't wait for the algae to go away. The clean up crew will help make it go away faster. You want to raise your salinity a little bit. It should be around 1.025 to 1.026.

Normally you top off using fresh water, because when water evaporates it leaves the salt behind. To raise your salinity you can either top off using saltwater, or next time you do a water change, make the new water extra salty.

Well, I got everyone settled in this afternoon and was amazed at how quick they went to work! That tank will be spotless in no time! :D

Skimmers can take some time to break in, so I would recommend running it during the cycle so that it's working right when the tank gets done with its cycle

Wow! I've been looking all over the internet for this! Thanks! I just can't wait to start my tank in March! Also, I have a question. Should I use those products that claim to speed the cycling up or how you said?

You can if you want. No guarantee that they will work. If you use live rock and some fish food, your tank is going to cycle regardless, so I don't really see the point.

Good deal. Your cycle has started, so it's fine to take the shrimp out. Cycling can be stinky. :lol:
stupid question. im starting my tank this week. when everyone is saying add a shrimp to start the cycle, that means a raw shrimp that we would eat? just drop it in there uncooked??

Back