D2mini's New 130g Make-Believe Cube Build Thread

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
:regular_w

That's right! The wheels have been put in motion on a 100g rimless FULL WALK-AROUND tank!!! :bounce:

I'm trying to get a tank made locally, if not I'll have to go through glasscages but their delivery service is more of a pain. It will be 1/2" thick, rimless, Starphire all 4 sides, polished edges, center column overflow/return. 32"w x 32"d x 24"h

The stand is going to be uber modern/clean. Birch wood with dark expresso stain, "raised" platform for the tank with recessed back-painted glass trim underneath the platform. Full access from 3 sides. I designed the look of the stand myself and I'm currently in talks with a local woodworker who's going to build it for me.

Lighting will be a hanging fixture, probably a mix of HO T5 and a MH bulb for shimmer, suspended from the ceiling. Power will be obtained by tapping into the can lighting in the ceiling which is directly above the location of the tank.

My problem is getting power to the stand. I think what I'm going to do is use those FLOR carpet tiles on the floor around the stand to give the illusion of the square stand sitting on a square area rug. Then i can cut a channel out of the padding of the tiles to run the power line and ATO water from the nearest wall. I think I can get the carpet close enough to a wall that it will only leave several inches that will need to be covered with something that matches the floor. Our flooring is right on the concrete slab and I do not want to cut into the floor or slab.

I'm not sure how much I'm going to transfer from my current 46g. I'd like to transfer everything to avoid having much of a cycle. Then again, do I want to transfer any algae, pests, etc in the process? Tips greatly appreciated in this area!

Here are some pics that show the design of the tank/stand and the location of it in my home. It will be set up right were the orange area rug is with the two black chairs and small black tables. Those windows face north so there is no direct sunlight.

Wish me luck! :D

621454286_aMHct-O.jpg

621437878_aiTPy-O.jpg

621437851_EjdGQ-O.jpg

Re: D2mini's New 100g Rimless Cube Build Thread

that will look nice. when can i move in?
for the transfer i would get all the rck you need minus the rock that is in your 46g then let it cycle after that is done clean the shit out of the rock that is in the 46 very well in new salt water then clean it again. as for the corals i would say do idone dips before adding them to the new system. and just add the new fish one every couple days. this should allow you to avoid a cycle but it could still happen. are you going to run a uv on this system?

Thats gonna be a hell of tank Dennis:D
We already know your gonna need a lot more rock.Thats a given.
I'd get enough base rock to build the foundation of the reef.Then transfer as about 1/2 of the water in your established tank.Use the other half to scrub the piss outta the rock as you pull em out for the new tank.
Thats how I made my last transfer,and never did see a spike of any kind.
BTW
Didnt youy get a Reef Keeper controller a while back?

Didnt youy get a Reef Keeper controller a while back?

Yup! I have the Reefkeeper Lite. It's awesome.
I have it controlling my powerheads, all lighting, temp/heater/fans, monitors ph, standby mode for feeding or water changes. It's badass. :Cheers:
You can just barrrrrely see the blue display on the side of my tank in that last pic.

I got an RK Lite at the frag swap yesterday,but it didnt have the add-on for the PH.
If I'd had your phone number,you'd have got a call about 3 this morning when I was trying to get it all set up :mrgreen:

LOL! OMG, the instructions are horrible aren't they? Thank god for their support forums.

Might as well not had any instructions:grumble:
I spent close to 3 hours reading their support forums and tinkering with it.Then when I thought I had it set up,I had an alarm set so that when the lights would come on,the pumps would cut off:shock:
But I finally got it:D And I'm loving it now.
Went a head and ordered another PC4 for it.Gonna hook up a couple of K5s on the wave timer.

Dennis that's going to be a beautiful setup, perfect for your house. Who does all your decorating? Looks great, almost like a modern furnishing magazine.

Congrats Dennis. Will be awesome.

If you adopt me i'll clean the tank for you every week :mrgreen:

Thanks, David!
We worked with an architect to redesign the space a few years ago, but my wife and I did all the decorating.

Ok, I need some help with the tank!
It's going to have a center overflow. I was figuring it would have a 2" drain and then some kind of return pipe coming back up that splits into two at the top to come out of two sides of the overflow. What size return pipe should I do? Do i put the drain pipe at one corner of the overflow and the return at the opposite corner? What dimension should the overflow be? Should it be a glass overflow with a black acrylic cover with the teeth at the top?

Do you think a 2" drain is too much? 1.5"? 1"?
Now I'm thinking of doing two drains. The main drain and a second for emergency backup. I'd like to be able to push at least 300-500gph. Right?

in a 100 gallon tank you should push at the very least 1000 GPH but I would do more like 2500 GPH.

2 - 1 1/2" BH
2 - 1" BH.

This is going to be a beautiful set up.

you could also add another 3/4" hole so that you can send power up through your overflow box to your hood.

My 46g only pushes 250-300gph through the return pump. Then i have over 2000gph inside the tank with powerheads. Any more than 300gph through the sump and I was getting microbubbles.
I will definitely have a good amount of flow inside this tank as well.

What is "BH"?

My 46g only pushes 250-300gph through the return pump. Then i have over 2000gph inside the tank with powerheads. Any more than 300gph through the sump and I was getting microbubbles.
I will definitely have a good amount of flow inside this tank as well.

What is "BH"?

BH = bulkhead

I prefer to not have power heads in my displays so I have the flow coming in from my return pump. With a larger tank you get to put in a larger sump/fug, you can add things like filter socks and sponges, as well as baffles to help take care of bubble issues.

You could also do 2 smaller pumps, use one for your return pump and the other as a closed loop system. This will give you the flow and reduce bubbles.

Cool. Maybe you can help me design a sump! :D
I would also prefer not to have a bunch of powerheads but I had no choice in my current tank. Especially when you need to fit a sump in a small bowfront stand. Not much room! :(

So are you saying i should have two 1-1/2" drains and two 1" returns?

And you lost me on the two separate pumps.
Not sure I understand how that would work?

Thanks!

Dennis-
With 2 pumps, one would pump the return from the sump which would be the water coming from the overflow box. The 2nd pump would be a closed loop meaning the water wouldn't go through the sump but directly to the 2nd pump and then out the returns in the tank. In other words the water would go directly to the pump and back up to the tank. You would be able to use the returns as your "power heads" that way and not have any pumps in the display tank and still be moving the correct amount of water.

In my Zero Edge I do not have any power heads in the display only 5 returns and I move plenty of water that way. With my kind of tank the are no cords going into the tank itself. Makes for a real nice clean modern look, which would be good for your house.

I would encourage you to look at the Zero Edge tanks thoroughly. They have all sizes and would be perfect for you house. Extremely modern as tanks go.

David,

Is it just me, or does Zero Edge not have any cube tanks listed on their website? All i see is rectangles. Looks like they can do custom though. But based on your experience with them, if you had to give it a wild guess, what do you think it would cost me for a 32x32x24? I should be able to get a tank made locally or through glass-cages for around $800-900, all starphire glass.

Also, can you explain in more detail your plumbing setup with the two pumps? I'm definitely intrigued but having a hard time visualizing it. Do you have pics that illustrate it? I'm definitely more of a visual person. Pic would help immensely! :D

Thanks!!!

Back