D2mini's New 130g Make-Believe Cube Build Thread

Re: D2mini's New 100g Rimless Cube Build Thread

From experience I believe it would be better in the middle if you are truly going to have a walk around tank. You don't want to create a less desirable dead area that you will actually see. Walk around tanks are great, plus it gives you a lot more room to place even more corals.

On the size couldn't you go with a 4'x4' in your room? That would be cool.

On the size couldn't you go with a 4'x4' in your room? That would be cool.

I probably could (although that size might be a little "heavy" for that space) but then we are talking boo-coo bucks that I don't have. The tank alone is already going to cost me a small fortune. :grumble:

4 inches is 4 inches.And that 4 extra inches goes a long way in a reef tank.
I'd put the over flow in the center.That way you can scape around it and hide it in your reef.
Maybe set the return up like a closed lood,but use this Oceans Motions to switch the flow from one to the other.
I've seen them hooked up at one of the local stores and it seems to work great.

If your really going to pull out all the stops on this aquarium I ask one of 2 questions. why not build your overflow like zero edge where the water actually flows over the 4 walls of the tank to an overflow channel? or why not just buy a zero edge aquarium?

If your really going to pull out all the stops on this aquarium I ask one of 2 questions. why not build your overflow like zero edge where the water actually flows over the 4 walls of the tank to an overflow channel? or why not just buy a zero edge aquarium?

Meh. I looked at those and then when i realized it had the whole overflow channel thing, I lost interest. Don't know why, but I just didn't like the idea of that moat around the tank. Plus I could just imagine having to clean algae off of BOTH sides of the tank walls. They're neat looking, i just don't think I'd like owning one.

4 inches is 4 inches.And that 4 extra inches goes a long way in a reef tank.
I'd put the over flow in the center.That way you can scape around it and hide it in your reef.
Maybe set the return up like a closed lood,but use this Oceans Motions to switch the flow from one to the other.
I've seen them hooked up at one of the local stores and it seems to work great.

Yup! OM is one idea I'm considering.

Definately put the overflow in the center, Dennis instead of going full custom have you considered looking at the Marineland Deep Dimension tanks? Could save you a ton of money and they look amazingly nice.

Definately put the overflow in the center, Dennis instead of going full custom have you considered looking at the Marineland Deep Dimension tanks? Could save you a ton of money and they look amazingly nice.

hadn't seen those and the 36x36x27 seems nice but no center overflow. Has a corner overflow. If I was putting it against a wall I'd definitely be looking harder at that one.

Ok, I want to get my tank ordered this week!
This is my overflow/plumbing design. Humongous thanks to Wendy (winyfrog) and her husband Tracy for helping me!!!

I took their ideas and drew this up. It's an open flow system combined with a closed loop system with OM SuperSquirt.

The tank is 36"x36"x24" which should give me roughly 150g. 3x the size I have now. :D

626634012_e2yUs-O.jpg

Last edited:

Looks very impressive Dennis. I like how some of you guys really plan everything out.

that loooks like a really grreat setup. should serve you well. im excited to see real pictures of this bad boy!

I love your artwork. ;) so much detail. This tank will look awesome in your home.

I love your artwork. ;) so much detail. This tank will look awesome in your home.

haha, thanks. :) It's no autocad or anything but drawing it out in detail helps me think through it. I'm a visual person, and I can't just work it all out in my head. :12:

Anyone know if those teeth in the top of the overflow really help to keep fish out? It's not like I ever see any up there stuck to the side of the overflow and my teeth just see to collect algae, blocking water flow. You'd think you'd get a lot more flow with no teeth, just a flat edge.

LOL, ya actually. I didn't even think about that. But i would think the current would be less being distributed over the entire tank vs a small overflow?

The teeth are actually supposed to help keep snails out of the overflows.

Really? I don't see how. They even climb straight out of my tank. Damn cat kept batting around stray turbo snails.

haha, thanks. :) It's no autocad or anything but drawing it out in detail helps me think through it. I'm a visual person, and I can't just work it all out in my head. :12:

Anyone know if those teeth in the top of the overflow really help to keep fish out? It's not like I ever see any up there stuck to the side of the overflow and my teeth just see to collect algae, blocking water flow. You'd think you'd get a lot more flow with no teeth, just a flat edge.

The teeth help keep my fish, snails and crabs out most days. I had modified my tank by removing some of my teeth and lots more of my fish took the tour to the refug :mrgreen:, so I put some screen back up there and haven't had as many problems.

Dennis that will be a great tank! Where did you end up ordering it from?

Back