1032920189_PjnLc-O.jpg

1032920196_isj6m-O.jpg

1032920720_adHiC-O.jpg

1032920938_Lr5st-O.jpg

1032920501_CxMzK-O.jpg

1032920502_fP7PN-O.jpg

1032920268_wpnPa-O.jpg

1032920469_FcKcP-O.jpg

Looking awesome, Dennis! I love the gorgs. Have you taken a look at RC's Tank of the Month? It's a non-photosynthetic tank filled with gorgs, sponges and sea fans. It really reminded me of your set up!

Great pics Dennis!
How do your sponges do in your tank? All the sponges Richard sent me have all died on me except for one, and that one has just started receding on me.

Thanks, Biff! And ya, that's a sweet little tank on RC. :)

Brian, thanks! Most of my sponges were gone. Set up in january and the last couple were receding now. So Richard sent me more with this new order. The only one that is still the same as before is the yellow tree sponge that gets the brown coating. Richard said those are brown when he collects them and then that coating falls off in storage/transport I guess. Then after it gets into our tanks it makes the brown coating again. Weird. Of course it's the ugliest one that survives. I don't know if this has anything to do with my sponge losses, but some of them seemed to happen when my water temps got into the high 80's for several days when our AC went out this summer. I lost my big purple gorgonian too. So i was super excited to see two more more purple ones from Richard! The brown gorgs are all still going strong. And that new one that I shot close up above is cool looking. Sponges just don't seem to last long so enjoy them while you can. We'll see if these last any longer now that the tank is more mature but I won't be surprised if they don't.

I've been doing some reading and it seems that sponges need silicates as their "nutrition", I'd be worried about causing diatom blooms adding that though

Some killer photos as always...

FYI - You might want to check out sponge power....it is part of the zeo system. So far...my sponges have been doing great. (I run a lot of the system)

Koda, thanks! I'll check out the sponge power. How many drops would I need for my 130g tank and how often?

haha, hang in there David! :D

Here's a shot of my fuge with some of the macro from TBS.

1033485539_r8AiL-O.jpg

Sponge Power is 1 drop / 25 gallons daily

Cost me about $50

Be warned though the zeo stuff works amazingly well...it is easy to get hooked :)

Wow, it only took me 3 days of reading to get me to end of the thread! But gotta say it was a great way of getting through grave shift at work.
Dennis, your tank is truly astonishing. It makes a lot of tanks I've seen at aquariums look mundane.

I have a few questions for you if you don't mind.

1. How many headaches did this entire build give you, like things not fitting or just fighting you through it all?
2. What would you have done differently?
3. For your rock tower, what did you use to hold the pieces together?

Once again, astonishing tank, and I hope after the cyano battle I'm facing with my 180 my tank looks as clean as yours does. Great work

what is everything?
The green is Chaeto in the back and Calupera in the front, there's two different reds but i'm not sure what they are, and then i have no idea what the big gray-ish brown flat branching one is in front.

Wow, it only took me 3 days of reading to get me to end of the thread! But gotta say it was a great way of getting through grave shift at work.
Dennis, your tank is truly astonishing. It makes a lot of tanks I've seen at aquariums look mundane.

I have a few questions for you if you don't mind.

1. How many headaches did this entire build give you, like things not fitting or just fighting you through it all?
2. What would you have done differently?
3. For your rock tower, what did you use to hold the pieces together?
Thanks!

1. It all went pretty smooth. The only issues were finding a skimmer to fit in the stand which has an elevated floor, and fitting the lighting and vortech wiring down the 1" dry pipe. I had to remove the wiring from the fixture and reverse feed it up the pipe.

2. Bigger dry pipe. haha. I'd probably also look into doing a metal stand next time just for the extra strength.

3. I just used epoxy. The rock was small enough.

Epic, another question, what do you feed your gorgs? - had one for a while but couldn't find what they ate, well, it lasted about two months.

Back