d2mini's REAL 130g Rimless Cube Build Thread

D2 is there any special reason why u have a quick shut off valve on ur return side of your pump and a turn valve on the supply side of your pump? I'm not sure what they are called sorry
Is that so I can control how hard the supply is to your tank?

ok, got a new tank tour via some iphone video!
Nothing too exciting, but it will give you a walk-around of the tank, the overflow, lighting, the equipment under the stand, and finally the auto water change system. Stuff is messy, the camera is shakey, i'm sure I leave things out, but it's better than nuttin! :mrgreen: :Cheers:

You can view it at higher resolutions if you watch directly on youtube.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=504Qo5WGao0]YouTube - Tank Tour 4-2011[/ame]

36x36x24...aren't those Wonton's dimensions? Hahhh.

Great looking tank as always. I'm so happy for you that you learned how to use that complicated camera.

How do you run the vortechs? what intervals do you use? Do you turn them down at night with the controller?

Sure am hearing alot about the vortechs lately..People seem to be in love with them.

One last thing, get poor Wally's nails did....I hear him clicking his way through the house...how the hell is he supposed to sneak up on you?

36x36x24...aren't those Wonton's dimensions? Hahhh.

Great looking tank as always. I'm so happy for you that you learned how to use that complicated camera.

How do you run the vortechs? what intervals do you use? Do you turn them down at night with the controller?

Sure am hearing alot about the vortechs lately..People seem to be in love with them.

One last thing, get poor Wally's nails did....I hear him clicking his way through the house...how the hell is he supposed to sneak up on you?

OUCH! hahahahaha... hopefully she is more 36 x 24 x 36. ;)

The vortechs have their own night-time program. So starting at 10pm when the lights go off, they automatically turn down to half power for the night, and then ramp back up in the morning. I think right now the bottom one is on lagoon mode and the top is on reef crest mode. They also have a feeding mode. You hold down one button on one of them, and then they both turn down to low power for 15 minutes, then automatically go back to full power.

lol@ the nails. I NEED that. It's the only way to know where he is at all times. When it goes quiet suddenly, i know his sneaky-ass is up on the kitchen counters again. :grumble:

Great vid, D! But since PRC pointed it out, all I could hear was the *click* *click* *click* of Wally's nails :D

Your ozzie clowns are lookin' mighty happy there!

Dennis, awesome video, thanks! Your tank definitely convinced me to get the vortechs.
I'm also going to be adding the controller for the reefkeeper so I can set the vortechs to different modes automatically. Surprised you don't have me beat on that.

I love the automation you've got - more time to enjoy the tank.

That's the same thing I was thinking..you can "set it and forget it".... You can also control those things through your network. For the fish geek on "the go".

I still have no idea what you guys are talking about. :12:

I think they are talking about a controller, like the Reefkeeper, or the Apex system.

Awesome set-up Dennis. I show your tank to peoplethat come to my house and tell me they like my tank. I'm like, "if you like mine, look at this guys system".

Sorry, I was say ReefKeeper when I mean GHL Profilux - they have an expansion control box that will control the vortech pumps. So, I can, for example, set the pumps so that at 2PM they will go from tidal mode to nutrient export, and then change back at 3PM. I'm a giant nerd for fine-tuning - I spent three hours yesterday planning LED light intensity settings hour-by-hour for the 150 gallon I'm getting in October.

With the auto top off change plan, any chance you're thinking of autotopoff.com - they've got some cool stuff, I'm planning building my top off system with a lot of their parts.

Sorry, I was say ReefKeeper when I mean GHL Profilux - they have an expansion control box that will control the vortech pumps. So, I can, for example, set the pumps so that at 2PM they will go from tidal mode to nutrient export, and then change back at 3PM. I'm a giant nerd for fine-tuning - I spent three hours yesterday planning LED light intensity settings hour-by-hour for the 150 gallon I'm getting in October.

With the auto top off change plan, any chance you're thinking of autotopoff.com - they've got some cool stuff, I'm planning building my top off system with a lot of their parts.

This makes my brains hurt.

Cool, ya the current controllers that come with it are enough for me. haha
What's the nutrient export? Is that part of the latest models? I have the previous generation.

As for ATO... i haven't changed it becuase i like that I don't need power to run it or run an additional pump. I use to have the dual system from autotopoff on my last tank and it was great. So i dunno what i'm gonna do.

Back