d2mini's REAL 130g Rimless Cube Build Thread

Congrats on building a new home but I am really sad to see this taken down. I view Rimless Reef along with your tank as the two best I've ever seen and truly my inspiration for this hobby. The way you embrace the principals of design and couple them with good husbandry is truly awe inspiring...

I trust the new build will be just as fantastic though and look forward to that following the brief rental hiatus.

Hmm, 18" front to back would be a challenge aquascaping, for sure. With such a long tank, it'll be interesting to see how you handle the flow!

It'll be sad to see your current tank go, but very interesting seeing the new one develop. Here's my vote for your "long" tank....a mangrove biotope. It'd be so cool!

Hmm, 18" front to back would be a challenge aquascaping, for sure. With such a long tank, it'll be interesting to see how you handle the flow!

It'll be sad to see your current tank go, but very interesting seeing the new one develop. Here's my vote for your "long" tank....a mangrove biotope. It'd be so cool!

I agree. I have trouble in my 18" tank and it's half as long. I suggest going at least 2 feet.

Ya, i know it will be a challenge. The cube was a challenge too.
But i'm excited to have a long tank because i want a lot of tangs that I couldn't have now with much less swimming room. So this tank will probably be lighter on the live rock, more of a minimalist aquascape compared to what I have now, and heavier on the fish.

Ya, i know it will be a challenge. The cube was a challenge too.
But i'm excited to have a long tank because i want a lot of tangs that I couldn't have now with much less swimming room. So this tank will probably be lighter on the live rock, more of a minimalist aquascape compared to what I have now, and heavier on the fish.

Maybe you should do an 8 foot. You can keep just about anything in that and then you don't need to go so narrow.

Ya, i've got leeway as far as length. About 8-10 feet. Somewhere in there.
But i can only come out from the wall so far, otherwise it will interrupt with the dining room table and space around it.

Ah, yeah, I guess that would solve some of it.
Meanwhile, my new tank ships tomorrow! I'm building the water system tonight.

Ok, some more ideas because I'm literally waiting for the paint to dry on my kitchen floor before I can retreat to the basement and do some work.

With a long tank like that, a sunrise/sunset effect by the lighting system would be amazing. The leds on the right could brighten up first, then the center ones, etc. Can those LEDs to cloud effects too? Because with such a wide canvas, I think it'd be a beautiful effect.

A standing wave would also be really cool in a tank so long!

A cross sectional shot of the "reef" would be pretty sweet. Could have the beach, then it transitions into a lagoon, then reef crest, then back reef.

Okay, those are my ideas, whether you want them or not! :?:

With a long tank like that, a sunrise/sunset effect by the lighting system would be amazing. The leds on the right could brighten up first, then the center ones, etc. Can those LEDs to cloud effects too? Because with such a wide canvas, I think it'd be a beautiful effect.

A standing wave would also be really cool in a tank so long!

A cross sectional shot of the "reef" would be pretty sweet. Could have the beach, then it transitions into a lagoon, then reef crest, then back reef.

I'm actually really digging both the sunrise/sunset effect and the cross section idea. I don't know about the wave....But the cross section will allow you to have a variety of habitats for your corals, your fish would have different types of areas to swim in (open water, hidey holes, etc.), and you could even set up a nice little spot for a clam or scallop, should you want to. And I've been contemplating doing the MaxSepct Mazarra lighting on my fantasy tank (yeah, the really big one I'm currently dreaming about but unable to finance.....damn I have expensive hobbies....). So I totally thumbs up the cloud effects and sunset/sunrise! I will now proceed to my bout of insanely jealous fits, cuz I want the money to build the tank you're building.......

Awesome ideas!

What would the clam need different? A calm lagoon area?
But ya, i definitely envision different little islands and sections across the tank.

Is your tank gonna look like this?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzEpdaahw2o&feature=related]1200 gallon reef aquarium with 3 Solatubes - YouTube[/ame]

Awesome ideas!

What would the clam need different? A calm lagoon area?
But ya, i definitely envision different little islands and sections across the tank.

Not that it would need anything different, per se, other than that some clams like sandy beds, and some are rock-boring. I was just talking about setting up an area to highlight the critter. In a tank that size with an open, sandy area the clam or scallop could have its very own little aquascaped area!

Back