d2mini's REAL 130g Rimless Cube Build Thread

dcook, it's a little hard to compare directly.
My previous fixture (seen at the beginning of this thread) was a single mh in the center and two 24" T5 bulbs on each side. That fixture was larger overall than the initial two Radions that I replaced it with. Four 24" T5's cover a pretty large area. I had less spread with the dual Radion setup. Now that I have 3 units, i'm back to where I was before. To really answer your question, you would need to test one Radion against one 250w MH in a reflector, since this is how EcoTech compares the Radion. They say one Radion is good for about 24"x24" or 40 gallons at around 8" above the water surface. If my fixture was mounted over my tank the normal way, rather than at this 45 degree rotation, two units would have sufficed.

Dennis, it definitely sucks hearing about your tank coming down. I always love seeing all your pictures! I definitely am really excited to see what you do with the new one though.

I might of missed this but who built your tank? I have a quote from reef savvy but would like a few more. Did you paint your overflow plumbing or buy black PVC?

Wish you lived closer Dennis, I'd make an offer on that tank. By far one of my all time favorite tanks to look at. I have no doubt your new one will be equally stunning.

Wish you lived closer Dennis, I'd make an offer on that tank. By far one of my all time favorite tanks to look at. I have no doubt your new one will be equally stunning.

Why don't you just move here.
You can buy the house and I'll throw in the tank! :D

How's the tank doing under the new LEDs Dennis? I tried looking at their site but I couldn't find any answers, are they dimmable? And can are they modularly like the AIs, in the case that Ecotech comes out with new technology for them?

Brian, they are - they already released a bunch of info to GHL to the proflux can control them...

AI is also releasing a wireless control module, so the arms race will continue...

How's the tank doing under the new LEDs Dennis? I tried looking at their site but I couldn't find any answers, are they dimmable? And can are they modularly like the AIs, in the case that Ecotech comes out with new technology for them?

http://ecotechmarine.com/products/radion/

34 energy-efficient LEDs
Fully adjustable for growth and appeal
Output optimized for PAR
Wide light spread
Minimal color banding
Fully upgradeable
Modular LED cluster, lens and driver assemblies

Capacitive touch exterior controls
Revolutionary heat sink design
Switching power supply
Evolving software and firmware
Smart multi-light wireless functionality
Easy import and export of saved modes
Real-time clock
Multiple light period programmable

And ya, i like them a lot so far. Everything in the tank is continuing to do great, still seeing lots of growth.

Not only are they dimmable, but each of the 6 light channels can be varied in intensity which will give you a wide range of color options. I was supposed to get the new software today to allow me to start running all the programs and stuff.... but still waiting. I plan on doing some time-lapse photography with it.

Thanks, guys!
And ya, these lights are pretty nifty.

I can see the tank while watching TV in the living room. Something caught my eye about an hour ago. I look up and the tank was dimming down from around a full brightness 15k spectrum to a 10% brightness ultra blue spectrum. Stayed there for a minute, then they ramped back up a bit, then down again. Stayed there for a minute or so, then slowly ramped back up to full 15k.

Cloud Cover. :D

A macro shot from the Nikon of my Slimer, just a couple inches beneath the surface of the water.

20111111DSC5461130gReef.jpg

And a shot from the Leica of my Plate Coral on the sand, about 22" below the surface of the water.

20111111L1005168130gReef.jpg

Back