Dead or Alive

+ daugherty I also think they tiny "bugs" are pods. And I too would pull the nem out. Try put it in a quarantine tank for a while if it dies at least it will be out of your DT

Update... I went to pull out the Nem and it was anchored solid to the rock.

It seems that most agree this Nem should come out, but is there a way to dislodge it from the rock?

I totally disagree on pulling it. If it is anchored down it is trying to survive. As I have said in previous posts it will hide from light b/c it is bleached. It takes time to nurse it back. In the end it is your tank and you can do what you like.

I've quarantined it.

Now that you have quarantined it I hope you have the proper equipment to keep it comfortable in that tank during its quarantine time, like good lightning and water flow because nems require this as far as I know. Do you have any new pictures of it to show us?

Flushed...

Thanks for all the help.

I'd really like to understand what I'm missing. My last set of tests were as follows:

Ammonia = 0
Phosphates = .025
Nitrates = 0
pH = 8.2
SG = 1.026
kH = 196.9

One thing is that it was stressed, and in trying to make it happy you adjusting water temp and trying to move it ect. Keeping things stable and consistent is the most important thing. If your constantly changing its environment how can it acclimate and settle in?

One thing is that it was stressed, and in trying to make it happy you adjusting water temp and trying to move it ect. Keeping things stable and consistent is the most important thing. If your constantly changing its environment how can it acclimate and settle in?

I don't disagree with what you are saying. But it isn't as if I was bored and decided to play with things. If it isn't broken, don't fix it. But things were broken so what choice did I have, really?

Nick, out of curiosity, when you bought the nem (and the ones before it), what size were they? How was their coloration? How long had they been at the LFS, and what kind of lighting were they maintained under at the LFS?

I strongly think that the temp fluxuations impacted the nem, but I'm also suspecting that it wasn't in peak health when you got it. If you want to try another one, I'd strongly suggest trying one from a reputable dealer such as live aquaria so that you know for sure it is in good health when it arrives.

Nick, out of curiosity, when you bought the nem (and the ones before it), what size were they? How was their coloration? How long had they been at the LFS, and what kind of lighting were they maintained under at the LFS?

I strongly think that the temp fluxuations impacted the nem, but I'm also suspecting that it wasn't in peak health when you got it. If you want to try another one, I'd strongly suggest trying one from a reputable dealer such as live aquaria so that you know for sure it is in good health when it arrives.

This is a very good point. Some LFS don't care too much about their livestock. I've seen some anemones in the LFS that I visit and they don't look very good most of the time. But that doesn't stop them from selling the nems.

I strongly think that the temp fluctuation impacted the nem, but I'm also suspecting that it wasn't in peak health when you got it. If you want to try another one, I'd strongly suggest trying one from a reputable dealer such as live aquaria so that you know for sure it is in good health when it arrives.

This is the second Nem I've tried in this tank. The first was a green bubble tip which came from a LFS. It was full of color and vibrancy when I purchased it, but over time, began to shrink and eventually was left to look like a piece of chewed bubblegum on the bottom of the tank after 8 weeks. My water parameters at that time were consistent with the results I posted yesterday and the temperature, while I've come to learn was low for Nems (72-74) was steady.
The store from where THAT Nem came from was a place in NJ called Absolutely Fish. In my view, the place is top notch. The owner holds a Doctorate in Marine Biology and holds a high-end position in the NY Aquarium (Director?).

The Nem of which this thread is the subject was a white bubble tip and came from Petland. Admittedly, buying a Nem from here was something I was extremely reluctant to do, but the price made it worth the gamble. I had the store put it on hold and I watched it for two weeks before I purchased it. During the observation period, it too was full of vibrancy. In the end it deteriorated and died over the same period of time in the same way that the first Nem did.

So here we have two Nems from two different states from two different levels of store with the same results. I am the common denominator. It has to be something I'm doing incorrectly.

T
This is the second Nem I've tried in this tank. The first was a green bubble tip which came from a LFS. It was full of color and vibrancy when I purchased it, but over time, began to shrink and eventually was left to look like a piece of chewed bubblegum on the bottom of the tank after 8 weeks. My water parameters at that time were consistent with the results I posted yesterday and the temperature, while I've come to learn was low for Nems (72-74) was steady.
The store from where THAT Nem came from was a place in NJ called Absolutely Fish. In my view, the place is top notch. The owner holds a Doctorate in Marine Biology and holds a high-end position in the NY Aquarium (Director?).

The Nem of which this thread is the subject was a white bubble tip and came from Petland. Admittedly, buying a Nem from here was something I was extremely reluctant to do, but the price made it worth the gamble. I had the store put it on hold and I watched it for two weeks before I purchased it. During the observation period, it too was full of vibrancy. In the end it deteriorated and died over the same period of time in the same way that the first Nem did.

So here we have two Nems from two different states from two different levels of store with the same results. I am the common denominator. It has to be something I'm doing incorrectly.
There is no such thing as a healthy WHITE anemone. Purchasing one puts you behind the 8 ball instantly.

Back