Deep Sand Bed, Plenum, or neither

runningrandy04

Reefing newb
Hey guys, I'm starting up a 20L reef tank. I have the Bio-Wheel 350 for mechanical and chemical filtration but I'm still can't decide on what do do for biological filtration. My first thought was to get 30lbs of live rock and I have two 145gph power heads to get good flow through them, but is that enough to get the nitrates down? The deep sand bed or plenum would keep my nitrates at 0 but I've heard that they can leak a lot of nutrients back into the tank after 6 months. If I could get away with just the rock, that would be awesome. If there is any other advice I'm all ears.

I would ditch the bio-wheel filter and get a good skimmer. Some powerheads for water movement 30-40lbs of live rock and you would be set.

You can buy a hang on skimmer. They don't work aswell, but they work. Do not buy a seaclone to save money. Ramora is one that I have used and would buy again if I had no sump.

Like Oscae stated,get rid of the bio-wheel.You can use the filter itself for a place to run carbon and such but the wheels cause more trouble than their worth for saltwater.
1 to 2 pounds of live rock per gallon along with a good skimmer is all the filtration you need for a reef tank.
This is the skimmer I recommend.Gets the job done without breaking the bank.
Aquarium Protein Skimmers: Coralife Super Skimmer Needle Wheel Protein Skimmer
The 65 will work great on a 20 gallon tank and can be used HOB.So you wouldnt need a sump.

Thanks guys, I will definitely be getting a skimmer but it will have to wait a month or so for another paycheck. As for now, I'm just gonna use the bio-wheel filter that I have. What problems do the wheels cause? I got the filter for $26. Is it worth returning or will it work to start me off for a month or so?

The biggest problem is that the filter has to be cleaned regularly or they start causing high nitrates.The wheels by their nature and what they are designed for cause high nitrates.
It'll work for a long time,you just have to keep it cleaned.
I'd go a head and run it for now.Besides later on,you'll probable want some place to run carbon any way.

DSB and plenum are nice but they have reuirements that are seldom met and these lead to problems. One a substrate larger than O.5 mm can lead to a lot of detritus build up. Deep small substate, which is best for a plenum and DSB, must be kept stirred slowly my small creatures such as worms and such. Therefore you can not use fish and stars which would eat them. If the bed is not naturally stirred problems develop. Stirring by the aquarists does not work with a plenum or DSB bacteriological system. Some people are having good sucess with 1 to 2 imch deep sugar sand (0.1 t0 0.5 mm). However larger grained shallow beds are pretty worthless for drnitrification. Genearlly the rule with sand beds is less than one inch or over 3 to 5 inches in depth. I run 5 to 6 inch deep sand beds with 0.1 to 0.5 mm white aragonite sand.

The decision is really up to you.For me,a DSB is just aesthetically unpleasing to the eye and it displaces too much water.Lets not forget a DSB has to be replaced at some point.I believe a HOB refugium would be another option for NNR.

Back