Diamond Watchman Goby: Did I make a mistake?

Goob

Reefing newb
I just finished my cycle in a 20G long a few weeks ago and have a clown and coral beauty. Everything is going great in the tank but my sand was a little dirty and I loved watching the Diamond Watchman Goby in the store.

My levels were fine before I left, so I went ahead and purchased it.

Now, I'm reading a ton about how they could hurt your cycle because of eating some beneficial bacteria in the sand. If I make sure to spot feed the Goby, can I keep him? Will my tank be ok with him eating some newer sand but I have ample live rock? Is there bacteria I can buy and just add in?

I'd really like to keep this Goby, not only because he looks great, but I hate getting ripped off at the LFS trading in a fish that I just spent $30 on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

if it was me i would keep him make sure he gets fed.i aint sure if u can get beneficial bacteria in a bottle for saltwater but over time bacteria on live rock etc will increase in numbers anyway.yes your tank only cycled a few weeks ago so it maybe a bit too soon but now you have him i would keep him.make sure you keep checking your parameters and maybe resist the urge to buy alot else for a while see how it goes and give your tank a bit more time

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, I'm just worried about the others. Also, I forgot to mention that I have a small horseshoe crab. He's always under the sand but wondering if he and the Goby will compete for food.

The tank looks great and my levels are fine. However, after reading a little more, I need to trade in the horseshoe crab. From some people on here, he'll apparently starve to death.

I'm always reading a bunch on this forum before I make any additions to my tank.

i dont know much about horseshoe crabs except they aint true crabs. could well be true they starve in a small tank

You should trade in the crab he will starve or out grow your tank most likely starve.

The diamond goby is a awesome fish he will eat frozen foods and will hunt the pods on your live rock. You may have to add pods to your tank for him

The biggest threat to this fish is jumping. Make sure you have hood or lid on your tank.

You should trade in the crab he will starve or out grow your tank most likely starve.

The diamond goby is a awesome fish he will eat frozen foods and will hunt the pods on your live rock. You may have to add pods to your tank for him

The biggest threat to this fish is jumping. Make sure you have hood or lid on your tank.
Thanks for the reply! So, if I add pods and keep feeding him, will I be fine? I'm really worried about him consuming the good bacteria and hurting the other fish.

Thanks for the reply! So, if I add pods and keep feeding him, will I be fine? I'm really worried about him consuming the good bacteria and hurting the other fish.

You will be fine it won't harm anything. It will take all foods. You should only have to add pod for him if you notice his stomach sinking in and / or a lack of pods on your LR. Your LR will maintain the bacteria in your tank provided you have 1-2 pounds per gallon.

I would be very concerned about having a Coral Beauty in a 20G, there won't nearly be enough room for it in there. I would suggest at least a 55G

Thanks for the feedback. I'm actually in Owings Mills as well. I was wondering your thoughts on LFS in the area. There used to be a good one in Towson but it closed down. I've been going to House of Tropicals in Glen Burnie and CTE in Timonium. Any other recommendations?

I go to those same ones, CTE got good quality stock imo. I like their corals a lot, they got nice colors to them unlike the other stores. There is also A place called Go Fish 8767-G Philadelphia Rd. Rosedale, MD 21237 Tel: 443.559.8235 .
I went there once, and they use to own Aquatic Exotics.

I go to those same ones, CTE got good quality stock imo. I like their corals a lot, they got nice colors to them unlike the other stores. There is also A place called Go Fish 8767-G Philadelphia Rd. Rosedale, MD 21237 Tel: 443.559.8235 .
I went there once, and they use to own Aquatic Exotics.
Great! I haven't heard of Go Fish before but I'll check it out. Thanks for the help!

wish i had lots of choices to go to there are bout two where i live and the one i go to is only one i would recommend.even they are limited with stock.i sometimes order online in the uk but get sick of delivery price for say one coral

wish i had lots of choices to go to there are bout two where i live and the one i go to is only one i would recommend.even they are limited with stock.i sometimes order online in the uk but get sick of delivery price for say one coral

Yeah I know what u mean, I wanted a 20$ frag once and I ended paying 65 for it lol

Yea, I prefer LFS but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. On the bright side LA gives you a 2 week return period for fish and 30 days for captive grown corals

Back