DIY 72 bowfront stand

badmeowth

Reefing newb
I know a lot of people have bowfront tanks, and wonder if they can build their own stand. Well, I admit the ones in the store look a lot better because they fit the curve exactly. However, they were trying to sell me a stand that was 150% the cost of my 72 bow tank, so I decided to DIY.

stand1.jpg

Main frame. The whole project built out of 2x4's

stand2.jpg

Reinforced framework. 49" x 19" x 30"

stand3.jpg

First layer of woodstain to protect wood. Use atleast 2 layers, and don't forget to apply wood conditioner before applying stain for untreated lumber.

stand4.jpg

Added 3/4" plywood over top of stand, cut curve using jigsaw which turned out a lil crooked (its HARD to cut and sand). Painted black to match tank trim, min. 2 coats. Added styrofoam board, cut to tank dimensions (not shown) to protect tank bottom.

stand5.jpg

Here you can see the minor imperfections of the curved plywood cut. But when you paint everything black, it isn't really noticable. If you look closely, you can see the styrofoam under the tank bottom.

stand6.jpg

Done! 72 AGA bowfront with DIY stand. Total cost 74$, compared to over 200$ at lfs.

I found this site very helpful, and that's where I got the plywood cut idea from: DIY Aquarium Stand

Let me know if you all want to see the complete step by step pics, I didn't want to flood this thread with unnecessary pics. If so, I will post them to another image hosting site that people can go to. Any comments, suggestions, concerns appreciated :D

Last edited:
Thanks guys =)
I wanted to put doors on it, but didn't know how to go about it. One idea was to add additional 2x4's to "cover up" the 2 squares in the front and attach the door to the added 2x4's. I have very limited carpentry skills lol, learned it from DIY network on TV

The Chinese inscription on the bottom translates to: "Those who have dreams maybe stupid, but those with no dream are more stupid." It was my motivation quote for many things in life like finishing college, finding a good job, and hopefully having a successful saltwater tank someday :mrgreen:. There's always going to be people who find pleasure in doubting your abilities. The world is not going to change, I have to change myself!

looks good. it would look great with some doors. you should be able to find some at your'e local home depot or lowes pretty cheap. just use the spring loaded hinges and you wouldn't have to worry about latches. maybe on the end just screw the doors straight to it without any hinges. this would make it match the front.

Back