DIY Sump/Fuge Question

Palimow

Reefing newb
Hey guys, I'm trying to design this thing using a 38 gallon tank (i think). I measured it to be 36"x12"x20". The current idea is to have about a 9" long section for a skimmer (don't have one yet) then a 20" section for the fuge and lastly a 5" section for the return. The missing 2" would be for the bubble trap baffles. It'll be something like this

Now since I don't have a skimmer yet is there a space size I should aim for that would cover just about anything? I'm thinking about doing a DIY PVC skimmer which would be pretty easy to plan for but if I choose to buy one instead I'd rather not have to strip out the baffles and re-silicone everything. Is 9" too much/little?

Also, what should the spacing between the baffles be? I was thinking about 1" separation and then maybe 1.5" up from the bottom for the middle baffle. Does it matter? Can I use plexiglass for the baffles and would silicone bond well with them?

EDIT: This is going to be for a 75g DT if that matters

Last edited:
The fuge design looks good. I know you're thinking about DIYing a skimmer but, I would still shop around for a skimmer and decide which one you'll use if you do buy one. Then make the skimmer section large enough to fit that skimmer. I think 9" might be tight for a lot of skimmers for your tank size.

For that baffles I Have always made them With 1" separation and 1" up from the bottom. If you have any old video cassettes they work perfectly for separating your baffles. You can use acrylic for the baffles, most people do but you'll have to use a lot of silicone because it doesn't bond to the acrylic well.

Ok I re designed this and here's what I came up with. Are the baffles too tall/short? I just kinda guessed on their height. I may extend the return area too.

Last edited:
I would extend the return area too, the smaller it is the more often you'll have to top off to keep your pump from running dry. As far as the baffle height, you'll have to look at the skimmer you want again because most have a water height range to them. I think the average is 7-10" water level.

Why have the bubble trap after the fuge? I'm not arguing with you, rather, I'm trying to understand everything the best I can. Is it because there's a lot of micro bubbles exiting the skimmer that would get caught up in the flow and make it through the trap? Also, I increased the size of the return to about 7.5". Is that big enough? I'm trying to get the most space I can for my fuge.

I'm not sure how the return area would dry up. My understanding is, as the return pump pumps water back into the DT the same amount of water flows into the overflow and back down into the sump. Would this not maintain the same levels of water through out the DT, sump, refugium and return assuming evaporation is not an issue?

You can get microbubbles originating from the first or the second section. If you put the bubble trap before the return pump, you catch the micro bubbles from the skimmer and the fuge section. If it is after the skimmer section, you will not catch the bubbles from the fuge section.

The return section of the sump will dry up if enough water evaporates. You will only see the results of evaporation in the return section -- all the other sections and the tank will stay at the same level.

I came across a different sump design and thought it was interesting. Has anyone done something like this? I like this the best so far because it allows for a larger fuge and it's reported that micro bubbles are significantly reduced compared to a bubble trap baffle system. Section 1 is the overflow/skimmer return, Section 2 is the fuge and Section 3 is where the skimmer and return pump is located.

I still can't see it. Maybe it's my work browser. Wait until somoene else comes along, or I get home and can look on a different computer. :)

I think that the issue that you are going to have is keeping the water level constant in the 3rd/return section. The return area is where you are going to see the evaporation that occurs. Personally I wouldn't try this one because of the skimmer and return pump in the same chamber. There will be no dwell time of the skimmer output water before the return pump feeds that water back into the DT.

Ill have an ATO running and the skimmer output would be piped back to the overflow section so the water has to travel all the way back across the fuge to the skimmer/return section. That should clear out the micro bubbles.

my 10g sum (20g tank) also got the dry up problem (water temp. stable at 79F), I have to refill 0.2g SW into the return section everyday...do you have any suggestions for ATO device?

Are you topping off with salt water? You should be topping off with fresh. Water evaporates, salt does not.

Are you topping off with salt water? You should be topping off with fresh. Water evaporates, salt does not.

I top off with both sw and fresh water, because some sw went to the skimmer collection cup, I checked and adjusted the readings make sure it stays at 1.025 all the time.

Back