Doc's Reef Build

Re: Dr Marco's Reef Build

i feed it gorillas. Anyway. I had some interesting news that will actually make the tank go a b-i-t slower, but quite worth it. I made an offer on a bigger house in a town just north of where I currently am. I couldn't believe my joy when I got the call from my realtor today that they accepted my offer. I was SO happy!!! The nice thing is that it was going into foreclosure tomorrow!!! I basically sniped another offer to get it, in the eleventh hour, and I got it!!! The best part, aside from the fact that it was priced $45,000 LESS than it appraised for, is that the basement (on cement to bear as much weight as I want) is, well, it is HUGE....MASSIVE...big enough for my dream tank...1,000 gallons!!!!!

So I need to wait til the middle of October in order to fill my 90 gallon new reef tank. I am getting the stand Friday and I will post pics, as well as the cleaning of the snake cage. Please be patient with my lack of Pics, Yote. I will be on top of it after the move. Oh sh!t... I have to move my 125. Ah, he!!....how much livestock will I lose during the move???

-Dr Marco :sfish:

:bounce:congrats on the house, sounds like you got a great deal! Will be good to have the 90 to help with transfer of the larger tank in the move.

I agree. I will be setting up the new tank a few days before the move. I plan on transferring all the corals into the 90 gallon before the main move. I will have that reef tank set up before I move in. Closing is mid-month and I will move in toward the end of the month. At that time, I will have the 90 up and running and deciding what to do with the 125 in the basement. I will also be starting to save for my dream tank - that will be one hell of a build thread!!! I might even rival Biff's reeDONKulously long thread....yes, I am jealous

Congrats Dr. Marco! On the new house and the new stand that's coming. Pictures, pictures, pictures...

If you have the new tank set up beforehand, I don't think that you will lose much in the move.

Biff,

I plan on setting up the 90 gallon at the same time I move. I will be using existing water from my current tank (about 40 gallons), live rock from my current tank (I have about 160 lbs and I am stealing 20 lbs from my work tank - I should really post pics of that tank on here, huh?), 3 bags of live sand, and some new water I will mix in a huge trash can at the new house. I will replace the 40 gallons from my 125 with new water I will mix at the new house. I will set up the tank about two days before the move (I have to replace the floor before I move in) and I will move in all the corals, clowns, BTA, and LR two days before I break down my main tank and move that sucker (not looking forward to that, BTW). I am hopeful that nothing bad will happen.

I am currently looking for Maxjet powerheads for the 90. which ones do you guys recommend?

I prefer the MJ900 over the 1200 since they are smaller and the flow nearly as good.I say 3 MJ900 at least.

I sure you know that I/we prefer the Koralias over the MJ.Two K3 would work great.

BTW,good luck on the move.I absolutely hate moving a tank,especially the big ones.

thanks for the input. I am picking up my stand tomorrow or saturday. I wil post pics. It is really sturdy and pretty. Saw it today.

are you staying in orem?
have you considered not using power heads for flow? maybe oceansmotions or more inlets..
lets see pics of your cement... where the 1000gal gos :)

I am moving a touch north to Lindon. The house was going into foreclosure because of the crazy hike in interest rates, the owner could not pay their mortgage anymore. It was due for auction the next day I made my offer. It was in a short sell, which, for those of you who are into finance means that the bank is about to own it and they are willing to take a substantial loss on the property. I am still psyched. I will walk into the home with just about $40,000 in equity and I am not putting anything down on it. YAY!

As for the big tank room, it is carpeted, but underneath the carpet, it is cement. No sub-basement or anything. Just cement - capable of holding 4 elephants - or something like that.

Winy, I will post pics as soon as I can, but the current owners are in til after this weekend. I can get my camera in next week, since I have to measure rooms for new flooring.

I think I will be a traditionalist and stick with MJ900's for current. Thanks for the idea though Winy.

Congratulations on the new house Doc.I'm sure you bounceing off the walls.

Just a little tip, you might want to make sure that concrete floor is thick enough and re-bared for that 1000 gallon tank.I'd hate to read where it caused the floor to crack or worse,crack and dump your tank.
Hell,if it wasnt for the drive,I'd offer to come help you move.
well that and the wife just wouldnt understand.

as much as I had to admit it, I don't know if I realistically will try to fit a tank that size in my basement. Yote, thanks for the tip. More likely, I will probably get a 300-500 gallon tank. As much as I want a 1,000, it is more of a pipe dream. I am not sure if I can talk my wife into letting me get a $5,000 tank - that is without the stand or equipment. Who knows. Having the space is the first step.

-Dr Marco :sfish::sfish:

Wife schmife. You're Mormon. Just tell her that if she doesn't let you get the tank you want, you will get yourself another wife that will!

ooh! I love tank builds! since I can't afford one of my own right now, I have to live vicarously through everyone else's

I am moving a touch north to Lindon. The house was going into foreclosure because of the crazy hike in interest rates, the owner could not pay their mortgage anymore. It was due for auction the next day I made my offer. It was in a short sell, which, for those of you who are into finance means that the bank is about to own it and they are willing to take a substantial loss on the property. I am still psyched. I will walk into the home with just about $40,000 in equity and I am not putting anything down on it. YAY!

As for the big tank room, it is carpeted, but underneath the carpet, it is cement. No sub-basement or anything. Just cement - capable of holding 4 elephants - or something like that.

Winy, I will post pics as soon as I can, but the current owners are in til after this weekend. I can get my camera in next week, since I have to measure rooms for new flooring.

I think I will be a traditionalist and stick with MJ900's for current. Thanks for the idea though Winy.

hey doc, i'm in the business, plan on waiting atleast 3 weeks to get an answer from the bank. more than likely the contract you submitted is in the hand of an attorney and they get paid by the hour = more time. do you know if the home has a first and second mortgage??? this makes a big difference. also, inquire with your realtor about a hardship case. if they don't know what this is they'll have a fun time learning about it. they'll have to fully understand this process to serve you well in a situation like this. i'm dealing with several of them myself. the first of many in a fallout of the subprime market. anyhow, food for thought. remember, keep your agent on their toes in a situation like this, otherwise they tend to lose their step. they can do a lot of footwork and even call the lenders. if they have a title company they can look up mortgages, and if they're really good...........like me :^:...........can even get in touch with the attorney's that are handling them. the point is pressure....... oh, and it's a short sale, not short sell. PM me if you have any questions, i'm always available to help with a contributor such as yourself. quiz your agent, see what they know.

since you are in the business, you will appreciate the craziness of this deal. I made a seriously low-ball offer to the seller yesterday at 10am. I heard back from the seller AND the bank before 4pm. Yes, that is correct before 4pm the same day. My agent told me to expect 2-3 weeks and lots of crap. The seller and the bank entered into a written contract this morning and THEY set the date for October 15th. I already have my loan in place and all I need from my lender is the appraisal and I am set on my end. The house inspection is Monday at 1pm. They bit at my offer, I think, because I asked for no seller concessions and I am willing to pay my own closing costs. Anyway, the bank is SUPER motivated to sell. The property is only 6 years old and there are no signs of mold and the inspector is also doing a meth test. I am just a touch nervous cuz it seems too good to be true. Anyway...

New tank in a few short weeks. I will post pics of the stand tomorrow

ah doc, don't take this the wrong way, but just try to sit on your hands a bit longer. if there's a second mortgage they will lose out to the first mortgage. this makes things a bit more difficult. find that out. a hardship case must then be established. what kind of mortgage is the owner dealing with? there's not a lender out there not super motivated. make sure you don't incur any additional closing costs with this purchase. I STRESS THAT! don't offer to pay any of their closing costs. more than likely there will be accrued interest, late penalties and all sorts of other things they can stick you with. your agent should have informed you of this. being in the business i can appreciate somthing like what you've got, but.......... if it's too good to be true it usually is. Something that holds true when money gets involved. Just don't let them stick it to you was the point of my last reply. Cover you A$$ my friend. It's a crazy market out there.

oh ya, getting an immediate response from the bank is almost unheardof. be leary, people will feed you all sorts of BS if they know you're on their arse. if it's coming from your agent just be cautios and not get your hopes up. There's always an attorney involed.

Back