Doc's Reef Build

the whale sharks are hard for them to keep as they are the only in captivity outside of asia and we have already lost two of the four with another two that just got shipped in not too long ago. but if they cant figure out whats going on with them they wont be anymore whale sharks because Tiawan banned the capture of this huge beautiful creature. but there will be more belugas are on there way because we now only have one male but several lady friends on loan for breeding purposes so our little beluga can do a lot of the nasty

the whale sharks are hard for them to keep as they are the only in captivity outside of asia and we have already lost two of the four with another two that just got shipped in not too long ago. but if they cant figure out whats going on with them they wont be anymore whale sharks because Tiawan banned the capture of this huge beautiful creature. but there will be more belugas are on there way because we now only have one male but several lady friends on loan for breeding purposes so our little beluga can do a lot of the nasty

HOLY RUN-ON SENTENCE BATMAN!!!

(sigh), when will I learn? I just got a copperband butterfly last night. It was eating at the LFS and was $20, so I asked my self, "Why the hell not?"

Well, I get it in the tank, cuz I have a nasty aptasia outbreak and I don't want to get anymore Joe's Juice and I figured I would get the natural cure. It just sits there, not even interested in the aptasia. It seems to like looking at it but won't eat it. Why not? what the hell is wrong with the retarded fish? why won't it eat my glass nems? that is what is it meant to do! lame

-Doc

I got a few new things for the 90 today. A yellow coris wrasse, bullseye mushroom and a squampinis anthia (female, I think they are the prettier sex of the two - that orange is HOT). The anthia is hiding and I need to figure out how to take some pictures. I was pleased to find out that the sole red mushroom has made babies - 5 of them, all over my tank. I think the red ones are my favorite mushrooms, since my take has a lot of green and flesh tones, the red really makes an impact.

I am running out of room for the goniapora. It is the size of a football (really, it is) and it is quickly outgrowing my tank. I am not sure what to do with it. It is an encrusting variety and I don't know if I can take a saw and hack it in half. Will that kill both halves? Dominick, Yote, John, Sarah, and ideas?

-Doc

...and ah, hell, I cannot find my flasher wrasse. come to think of it, I haven't seen it in days. It did not come out to eat last night either. It always eats. grrrrr.

-Doc

Here are some updated photos of the new additions. I could not get the new anthia to get out in the open for anything. I guess I will have to wait a few days for that shot.

P3220005.jpg

The brain is opening up nicely. It is just starting to get that "painted green" look it's coloration. I am guessing it will take a few more weeks to fully color up. I chose to move it back down after getting direction as such from Reeffreak.

P3220006.jpg

Here is a shot of the "not so smart" CBB. He picks at the rocks, right next to the aptasia, but nothing - not a single piece eaten!

P3220007.jpg

The new yellow coris wrasse. He is about 1.5 inches long, my best guess. bold little sucker. Hope he grows fast!

P3220012.jpg

oh, yeah, I forgot that I added a skiddish Bartlett into the tank last week. She spends most of the day hiding and will shoot out for some food every once in a while.

-Doc

P3220010.jpg

Another pic of the new guy (still not so smart)

P3220011.jpg

a quick shot of the single red shroom and her offspring

P3220016.jpg

my wall hammer. It has grown over the last year or so to be about the size of a nice honeydew melon. It is pretty big, but not as big as.....

P3220008.jpg

my goni!!! It is a football - no lie. the tang in the shot is about 6 inches from tip to tail as a reference to the size. As I mentioned before, I am quickly running out of space for it and I am not sure what to do???

-Doc

Awesome Doc.I like that copperband.
How big are the aiptasias that you got.My copperband wont touch the bigger aiptasias,but he'll snatch the little aips up as quick as he can find them.

Awesome Doc.I like that copperband.
How big are the aiptasias that you got.My copperband wont touch the bigger aiptasias,but he'll snatch the little aips up as quick as he can find them.

hmmm, I have a variety of sizes. a few are about the size of a dime and others are tiny, like maybe the lead of a pencil. I also added peppermint shrimp and they are no where to be seen

-Doc

yeah, no kidding. what pisses me off the most is now I can't find that freaking yellow coris wrasse that I just added today!!! where the hell did he go?!?!?!?!?!

I even messed up the sand to see if he darted into the sandbed (which is where they sleep) and I got nothing. He was picking all over the place and when feeding time just came, he was MIA. I haven't seen him for a few hours now. BASTARD! How dare he die on me Day 1!!! ARRRRRGH!!!!!

On a better note, the CBB did eat frozen fare with gusto tonight (as with as much gusto as CBB can have. they are remedially slow eaters).

I have been checking lately at night for predatory movements of unknown inhabitants, like mantis shrimp, huge crabs, etc and I haven't found anything that could be mysteriously eating my small fish, but I have lost three fish smaller than 2 inches in the last month. what the hell??? Could my serpent star be devouring them? I give up

-Doc

What kind of star do you have? A green one? Maybe your fish just need some time to get adjusted.

As for chopping the encrusting goni in half, I have no idea, but if I were you, I'd try chopping off a small piece from the corner first and see what happens.

tHE SHRIMP WILL TAKE CARE OF THE APTASIA JUST GIVE UM A COUPLE WEEKS IF THEY DO NOT GET EATEN THEMSELVES. NICE PICKS, CONGRATS AS USUAL.

What kind of star do you have? A green one? Maybe your fish just need some time to get adjusted.

As for chopping the encrusting goni in half, I have no idea, but if I were you, I'd try chopping off a small piece from the corner first and see what happens.

I have the run of the mill purple one, the one that moves as slow as frozen honey and couldn't catch a cold. I doubt he is nibbling at anything. I am thinking about breaking everything down again and trying it over to see if I can swing more room for it. that goni is just to pretty.

-Doc

tHE SHRIMP WILL TAKE CARE OF THE APTASIA JUST GIVE UM A COUPLE WEEKS IF THEY DO NOT GET EATEN THEMSELVES. NICE PICKS, CONGRATS AS USUAL.

I can't find a single shrimp at all. I have looked all over and can't see a single peppermint shrimp. I hate that. I saw one the same day I dropped them in, but no clue where they are at today. Glad to know they will work if they are not dead....:shock:

-Doc

Your tank looks good as usual Doc.The brain was fat and plump like it's owner.

For me,I'm to scared to cut up a goni.Visit Goniopora.org before you attempt cutting one up.You may have to do a iodine dip afterwards to prevent brown jelly infection,not sure though.

Back