Doc's Reef Build

Your tank looks good as usual Doc.The brain was fat and plump like it's owner.

For me,I'm to scared to cut up a goni.Visit Goniopora.org before you attempt cutting one up.You may have to do a iodine dip afterwards to prevent brown jelly infection,not sure though.

hey, I just lost some weight, just ask Redline!

-Doc

doc, the tank looks great as do the additions !! the hammer is awesome. think i need to do some research on that !!!

It has been a while since I have updated this build thread. I have been really focused on the new shark tank. As I am looking to build my new tank, I realize that I will have a left over sump from the 125 that I will transfer to my 90 gallon tank. I have been using HOB filters with no skimming at all. I figure, I need to add the skimmer if I want to push my bioload more (which I do) and I have noticed I have been fighting a touch of green cyano lately, which I do not want to get worse.

I have added new corals and fish since my last post, but sadly, my copperband butterfly died after about 6 weeks in my tank. I also haven't seen my wrasse lately. Hmmmm. I will post pics later this week after making the change over from the new tank and adding the sump.

-Doc

So it is official....I have flat worms

P6280022.jpg

I am more than irritated. I noticed them growing a few months ago, but thought they were some strange algae. But... boy was I wrong. So, now, I have a mild infestation. I will need to spend the rest of the week trying to siphon them out and then see if I can't get the population down far enough to use some "Flat Worm Nuke" without killing my whole tank. LAME!!! On the bright side, I have some new pics of my new additions

-Doc

I found this coral looking particularly hungry yesterday and I wanted to post a pic of it

P6280043.jpg

-Doc

I also found a Lamark's angelfish at the LFS that was too cute not to get so I added him... this was before I found out I had flat worms

P6280020-1.jpg

P6280040.jpg

P6280041.jpg

-Doc

I also found the biggest coral beauty that I have ever seen at the LFS and I knew I had to put him in. It is about 4 inches long and really cool looking. I am a fan

P6280048.jpg

P6280050.jpg

So, my next step will be to get rid of my flat worms.... dammit

-Doc

Tank looks superb as usual Doc.Glad to see the goni is still going strong,sweet additions!

My goni is huge. At some point it will outgrow my tank. I may see if my local aquarium will take him at that point.

My new fish are out in the open and eating like pigs. Here's to hoping they live long happy lives. :-)

-Doc

Nice fish additions Doc. Your euphylia are amazing as always.

I have no idea why my red one won't open like the green one. You can see the red one in the back ground of the green one. They are cool corals

-Doc

Your corals are just stunning. Both new fish are great looking. As for the flatworms just keep siphoning them out. I went through it. Now I'm flatworm free.

Flatworms suck my ass... there. I said it.

WTF!!! I have been siphoning those little brown bastards out of my tank for damn near a week and I am still seeing them EVERYWHERE!!! I am terrified to use "flatworm exit" until the numbers are less than a thousand....(I wish I were joking) as I do not want to nuke my tank with their f*&king toxins. So... here I sit. PISSED OFF!!!

Here is a question though. I am thinking about moving a green fuzzy mushroom rock into my new shark / angel tank. But, I am terrified it has flatworms buried deep in the live rock. So, does a freshwater dip kill the flatworms? I recognize trying to dip all my coral is a waste of time if I just put them back into an infested tank, but I am hoping I can take out the large rock and dip it to insure I do not spread the f%&kers into my pretty new tank. Help?

Oh, and as an aside, all the fish look great. The two new angelfish are happily swimming around looking sexy. I will post pics of the tank when it is free of flatworms. Lets see, that will be November of 2009?

-Doc

Why not put the rock you want to move into a bucket and dose it with the flat worm exit?That way you'll kill off what on that rock with out as much risk.

Ooooh now Yote's thinking!! Problem is, it can take more than one treatment of the flatworm exit to get all the guys, so you'd need to keep the rock quarantined for some period of time.

Back