Dro and Mermer's first 29 gallon reef"

re: Dro and Mermer's first 29 gallon reef"

A good point just came to my attention, I live in Miami and every year we get at least or 2 hurricanes and we lose power, what should i do in case of a power outage will my tank survive???

It good to have some of the battery powered bubblers on hand so you can keep the tank oxygenated. Then i would wrap in a thick blanket to try and keep the temp up.

if you have the money, yes. But make sure its vented outside! Also I wouldnt use it to run the lights, the corals and fish will be fine in the dark, but being able to provide water movement and keep the temperature up is critical. Cooling water and lack of oxygen (from lack of water movement) are the real fish killers.

added a Frogspawn to my tank yday and it seems to be happy...

IMG_1127.jpg

blue light effect

IMG_1128.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1127.jpg
    IMG_1127.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_1128.jpg
    IMG_1128.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:

went to my lfs and dude had a surprize half off on live rock so i got a lttle rock bc i couldnt say no to a $2 a pound rock deal lol

IMG_1146.jpg

IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg

fuck me I have a little aiptasia problem.....there's a little brown nem looking thing growing on my center rock (holding my aquascape up) what do I do? When and how do I kill it? Its tiny! Not even bigger then a penny yet but its growing killed 3 hermits already

looking good so far, welcome to the addiction

Glad to see such excitement from a new tank! :)

Reminds me of when I set up 2 years ago... Oh how little I knew then.... Lets just say I had shop lights hanging over my tank for a bit until I too bought a 4 bulb fixture from aquatraders =P That light is doing great and helping to grow SPS with my ATI bulbs ;)

That made me lol

what about lights and filter? should i invest in a small generator?

Depends on how much your tank means to ya.....when you spend a grand on a tank you might not care when you spend over 10k i bet you def buy a genny.:Cheers:

thank you and I have been keeping track I'm right about to hit the $500 mark and I don't even have fish and coral yet! Lol

thank you and I have been keeping track I'm right about to hit the $500 mark and I don't even have fish and coral yet! Lol

That's a good deal. I'd stop keeping track tho. It will make your heart drop when you hit a certain point. I was warned and it happened. I'm in this hobby for life now. To much invested.

Last edited:
wow i'm new to the hobby also and i've already surprassed a G with a 29g tank. and i have the fever for a big tank itching me like crazy.

fuck me I have a little aiptasia problem.....there's a little brown nem looking thing growing on my center rock (holding my aquascape up) what do I do? When and how do I kill it? Its tiny! Not even bigger then a penny yet but its growing killed 3 hermits already

Aiptasia X. No need to panic, just stay on top of it

i have to go buy some of that, but im kinda iffy about doing it bc im so inexperienced,....once i zap it do i do a water change? or just let it be?

wow i'm new to the hobby also and i've already surprassed a G with a 29g tank. and i have the fever for a big tank itching me like crazy.

yea man ive been squeezing a penny out of a dime hahaha but i dont have a skimmer thats another money pit. but so far my rocks and lights have been the most expensive thing so far, plus i got my brand spanking new tank on criagslist for only 20 bucks :)

yea man ive been squeezing a penny out of a dime hahaha but i dont have a skimmer thats another money pit. but so far my rocks and lights have been the most expensive thing so far, plus i got my brand spanking new tank on criagslist for only 20 bucks :)

and the thought of starting a 90g is exciting and very hurtful in my wallet area. but i always try to peak at other 29's to see ideas to make mine look good!

Back