Dturner's 60 gallon tank

Dturner

Reefer Madness
Figured I'd start one of these.

As of today, I now have a 60 gallon tank with an additional 50 pounds of live rock. (48" x 24" x 12")

I have an Octopus Bh100 protein skimmer.
2 Korelia powerheads. One 550 gph, one 750 gph.
1 Whisper EX70 power filter
1 58watt t5 light. (found out it's too weak, ordered 324w t5 lighting fixture... hopefully arriving soon.

I have 110 total pounds of live rock - Just added 50 pounds I got today, I'll show before/after pic.

I have a couple leather corals (1 devils hand) and one set of button polyps. I got these before I realized my lighting was too low, but currently have them at the very top of the rocks right under the light.

I have 3 shrimp, 1 blood red fire shrimp, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 peppermint shrimp.

1 Lawnmower blennie
2 clown fish.
5 hermit crabs (blue leg and red tip)
3 narcissus snails.

Before:

After:

Last edited:
I need suggestions on my next fish. I assume according to the rule of thumb, I can have 3 more small sized fish in my tank without overloading it.

I was definitely planning on adding a six-line wrasse, those things look so cool.

I was considering a sleeper goby, but I'm afraid that he might burrow under my single column of rocks and make them come crashing down. How likely is that to happen?

Any other fish you would recommend for my tank based on the fish/invertebrates I posted about in the first post? If I can only have 6 total, I don't mind spending some good money to get an exotic fish.

What about a flame angel? Those are awesome looking fish, and if you want some more exotic looking wrasses, check out the mystery wrasse.

I would also be very concerned about a rock slide if your rocks are sitting on the sand not the glass.

But there are lots of other cool fish, like the orange diamond goby.

The tank does look great. :)

I agree with little_fish, if the rocks are sitting directly on the sand and not the glass it could be concerning. Especially if you do end up getting burrowers in there.

Best Regards.

Not just borrowing fish, but snails, crabs etc. And the sand will slowly dissolve over time changing the surface they are resting on, which can make them very unstable.

I live in Roanke Va. as well and I'm getting my 90 gallon set up now. I need to buy a light for my tank and wanted to know if there are any local spots that carry Metal Halides fro aquariums?

Looking good!

I love these setup threads as it's giving me alot of ideas. Can't wait to see it was some livestock

Back