Eshopps gravity fed auto top-off system

montoya

Reefing newb
Is anyone using the Eshopps gravity fed top off valve system? I'm attracted by the cost - Foster and Smith has them for just over 20 bucks. I have a gravity fed water top-off line going to my sump now. I have a ball valve in-line and hoped to be able to control the water level by simply adjusting the drip rate into the sump. It's not working very well. In this part of the country with the heating season the rate of evaporation from my tank is all over the board. It might be nothing for days then lose a gallon overnight.

You can buy a plastic toilet float from the hardware store (it costs less than $5), then attach that to the end of the line that is connected to your reservoir. That's what I used to use, and it worked just fine.

Biff -

I explored doing this but I'm not sure exactly how to set it up. What do you use for a valve to go with the float? The toilet float/valve combos I'm familiar with all have a large threaded water inlet at the bottom to connect to a household water input pipe. Do you run standard PVC pipe to your sump instead of small diameter vinyl tubing?

Also - toilet floats/valves are designed to shut the water flow off when the water rises to a certain point. If you connect it to the reservoir side of the line doesn't just the opposite occur - you want the water to shutoff after a given amount drains into the sump?

Any detail you can share is appreciated. I might try to get it done this weekend. Are there plans or something available in the DIY section?

Thanks!

You put the float in your sump, in the return section, where the water rises and falls.

When I set up mine, I got everything I needed at Ace. They had a little plastic piece that fit into the float and adapted to fit standard diameter tubing, which was attached to the reservoir.

Let me see if I can find a link.

Back