False percula vs true percula

wontonflip

I failed Kobayashi Maru
Ok, so a few months ago, my male clownfish died, dunno why or how. So I have just the one female (or, she was a female when there were 2), and is doing well (except for the fact that she's pretty much living off the side of my one overflow except when she's eating). I want to get another friend.

So how do you tell false from true, and if she's a false, and I get a true, will they just not learn to get along (like mixing a maroon with a tomato or something)? Is it just the thickness of the black outline on the stripes?

I think she's a true percula because her black outlines on her white stripes are a (to put it in geek terms) around 2-3 pixels LOL. She has, I believe, 10 dorsal spines.

AND, should I get the new fish bigger or smaller? I'm guessing bigger, since my clown now is aggressive to begin with, and wouldn't want her to tear apart a smaller clown.

Thoughts?

True percs are a lighter orange color,where the false or ocillaris clown is a darker,redder orange color.

"FUN" wasn't what I was going for...I was going for "creepy" like Biff's eye LOL

I have no comparison of oranges...I guess mine is just orange orange, not red orange.

So should I get one bigger or smaller than this one that I have now?

I read the false has like 10 or 11, and the true has 9 or 10.

She's maybe an inch now. When I got her, she was just 1/2". She's definitely grown. She's got to be a year old now. I got her around Dec '08 or Jan '09 with her partner.

Back