Fast's 120

I added a couple Green Hairy Mushrooms with Purple tips.

IMG_3147.jpg

IMG_3148.jpg

They've been in the tank now for about four days.

Feeding Biffs' Blastos some Mysis today

IMG_3146.jpg

IMG_3145.jpg

And an experimental zoa frag. I glued 3 Blue Hornets, and 3 Red Hornets on one plug to see if I can get them both to grow together.

IMG_3152.jpg

So I have been struggling with Asteria Starfish. So many that I had to take drastic measures. Yesterday I syphoned out all my substrate, romoved all rock, and coral, and did a 60 gallon water change. I then re-aquascaped the tank, and added a Harliquin Shrimp to feed off what ever of those little bastards are left. Right now I'm running with a bare bottom so that they won't have any place to hide. Culprit
IMG_3525.jpg
Before FTS
IMG_2400.jpg
Today side
IMG_3527.jpg
Today front bottom
IMG_3526.jpg
I am thinking of what sand I want to use when I am done. Almost thinking black would look nice. And the corals I just placed where ever I could find room for them at the time.

Awesome looking tank Wade! I like the new aquascaping. Why the problem with the stars? Just wondering what they were doing to annoy you? I have hundreds in my tank so if they're eating corals or something I'd like to know. I've seen them on my zoanthids, not sure if they eat them or not?

Awesome looking tank Wade! I like the new aquascaping. Why the problem with the stars? Just wondering what they were doing to annoy you? I have hundreds in my tank so if they're eating corals or something I'd like to know. I've seen them on my zoanthids, not sure if they eat them or not?

It's debatable...some people say they eat corals (and maybe coraline algae) some say they're harmless..I've got them in my tank too, I've never seen them doing anything that I'm concerned about. Biff said she had them in her tank as well, no problems....but then I think she changed her tune....I may not pay close enough attention.:D

Biff said she had them in her tank as well, no problems....but then I think she changed her tune....I may not pay close enough attention.:D

I've always had hundreds of them. In my last tank, I had a lot of algae. They always seemed to be on the glass or rocks, eating the algae. In this tank, I don't have any algae and it takes forever for the glass to fog up. In this tank, I've found them on corals. I think they are eating them (specifically leathers and zoanthids). The zoas look perfectly healthy one day, and the next day, there is a pile of asterinas on them and they are gone. I think the asterinas prefer to eat algae. And if there isn't enough algae, they will go for corals as their next choice.

I had Black sand in my tanks the first 2+ years and it is striking. However it absorbs a lot of the light and after several months starts getting speckled with all the rock rubble. I changed to white and I'm much happier with it. JMO.

Funny you're thinking about this issue now... I spent several hours today cleaning my (white) sand up. It looked almost black because I had such thick cyano on it. once cleaned, the whole entire tank really brightened up, and my corals were noticeably happier... so, I agree with David.

I've always had hundreds of them. In my last tank, I had a lot of algae. They always seemed to be on the glass or rocks, eating the algae. In this tank, I don't have any algae and it takes forever for the glass to fog up. In this tank, I've found them on corals. I think they are eating them (specifically leathers and zoanthids). The zoas look perfectly healthy one day, and the next day, there is a pile of asterinas on them and they are gone. I think the asterinas prefer to eat algae. And if there isn't enough algae, they will go for corals as their next choice.

I'm thinking they may be eating my zoanthids as well. Not sure if you remember, but about 2 months ago I posted a thread about zoa pox. My zoa's were melting and some were having these little white bumps on them. I never treated for zoa pox and they seemed to go away. I do notice that the zoa's which I see the stars on will stay closed up for a few days. Maybe I should start gettng rid of them as well.

I had literally hundreds in my tank. For the most part, in small numbers I think they may be okay. However they breed like an STD in a Thai whore house, and can take over a tank quickly. I started noticing them alot more on my zoas, and some of my new frags would be fine for 3-4 days after being cut, and then start to melt off. I have no idea if there is a direct connection to the stars being on my zoas that may have killed them or not, but I didn't want to risk it any more. They would cover the glass in the mornings, and since I see no benificcial need for them in my tank (and I wanted to change out my substrate anyway) I decided to eradicate the little suckers:chair:

That being said, I'm pretty happy with the rockwork, and the fact that I now have better places to set corals. That ugly rock crab is gone, and the dead corals removed. I also lost my Aussie Orange Hammer.

So I have the coolest looking little Harliquin shrimp in there now, getting fat and happy. I figure in a couple of weeks I can pull him out and put the sand in along with my other 3 resident stars that are living in the 24 for now.

Back