Fast's 120

Whatever it took to protect these

IMG_3528.jpg

Black Hornets

************************************* UPDATE **********************************************

So it's been just over three weeks now. Sucked the very last of the substrate out yesterday. For the time being I'm running bare bottom, with the idea that after the first of the year I'll drop about 100lbs of black sand in. I was able to find a very dark, almost jet black color sand at one of my LFS. The Harlequin is still working the tank, but may need a helper. I am starting to have a cyano outbreak, because I was not patient enough, and pulled 99% of the substrate at once. Luckily it's not bad as I try and stay on top of it.

Well, after 3 weeks I am still battling those stupid Asternia Stars. I now have 2 Harlequin in the tank, and am starting to see the numbers of the stars reduce. I still have a Cyano outbreak. Weird, only from half way up to the top on the rocks. Guess that's what I get for not being patient.

I replaced the MH bulbs on December 14, with brand new Phoenix 250 watt 14K bulbs. Over the New Years weekend, I tore off the canopy and replaced my T5 ballasts with Work Horse 5 ballasts. Put in new reflectors, endcaps and stand-offs, and replaced all the T5 bulbs with brand new ATI bulbs. I ended up putting in 2 True Actincs, 1 Blue Plus, and 1 Purple Plus.

Now for everything to get back to normal, and to get the substrate back in.:x:

okay so, I am going through the whole new tank cycle phase here after the Asternia infestation. I lost both my Tangs almost 2 weeks ago due to iodine OD by my son.
I have 120 pounds of Black sand waiting to go in once everything is back to normal. In the mean time, I was able to pick up a few freebie corals for helping some people out.

Blue Stag
IMG_3675.jpg

Unknown
IMG_3680.jpg

another unknown
IMG_3681.jpg

Lavander Tang
IMG_3679.jpg

Vlamingi Tang
IMG_3676.jpg

Tuxedo Urchin stealing a colony of Ring of Fire zoas
IMG_3674.jpg

Well, after 4 long months of going with a bare bottom tank due to an outbreak of Asternia Starfish, I have my system put back together. I finally removed the 2 Harlequin Shrimp 2 weeks ago and so far no more signs of those little starfish.

I searched high and low for a substrate that was jet black, as I felt it would really set off the coloration of the tank, but never found anything that was just the right size, it was either super fine or way to coarse. I finally settled in a black sand that is actually more gray, almost the same color as the sand in Hana on the island of Maui.

I have also been quietly gathering more and more corals. The following is what I have to work with now.

Turbinaria
IMG_3731.jpg

Superman Mushrooms
IMG_3723.jpg

4 heads of baby Dendros
IMG_3722.jpg

Rainbow Raptors
IMG_3721.jpg

Red Acans
IMG_3718.jpg

Spiderman Zoas
IMG_3715.jpg

Zoa Frag Rack
IMG_3706.jpg

Chalice Frag Rack
IMG_3705.jpg

Utter Chaos
IMG_3697.jpg

Teal Zoas
IMG_3694.jpg

2 different zoa colonies on one plug
IMG_3689.jpg

Tyree Space Monsters
IMG_3691.jpg

Hawkins
IMG_3693.jpg

Tri Color
IMG_3696.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Erin, it is one of my favorite pieces. It looked terrible when I got it. At least it is now showing signs of growing again.

Here are a few of the other things I was able to secretly amass during my bare bottome phase, lol.

Cats Eye zoas
IMG_3748.jpg

Superman Monti
IMG_3746.jpg

Blue Eyed Girl
IMG_3738.jpg

Fruit Loop zoas
IMG_3750.jpg

Setosa
IMG_3743.jpg

ORA Red Planet
IMG_3735.jpg

Better pic of the Utter Chaos, was 5 heads when I got it, now 6 with 2 more babies coming in
IMG_3747.jpg

Back