Filter?

Ok P5K, I will call you tonight. I spoke to my glass guy, he owns the company, and told me to draw it up and he will make it.

SeaBee,
I am also relatively new and built my own sump + refugium from custom cut panels of glass, also from a glass company. I would be happy to share the basic design with you, if you are interested. Here is a picture of my system, just after the silicone cured *L* And one with it in action.

Attachments

• refugium1.jpg
    refugium1.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 155
  • refugium working04.jpg
    refugium working04.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 195
Thanks, I just got off the phone with Project5K, told me at great lenght, did all the math to design a custom. I'm calling the glass guy in the am and set it up with him. Will be using Lewan? Spelling?? So need a suitable glue. Will research that as well. Thanks P5K for your time and brain....

Here's the skimmer, Remora C, maesures 21 1/2 tall o/a, "shelf" where it hangs is about 13 from the bottom, and 6" wide. The cup has an overflow that I plan on putting in the sump in case...

DSC_0060_00.jpg

My light timers, and Korilla timer in the back hiding a little. I must say these little digital timers are great and cheap, bought at Lowes. The top one has two outlets on it, so I run the white light and cooling fan on that, it also knows when sundown is, and I use that to shut off the whites, this way it doesn't look like a nuclear bomb in my house, just very bright at night. This leaves my blue lights on a seperate timer until 930 pm, then the led moonlites come on, the kids love it, and its bedtime when all that happens.

DSC_0062_00.jpg

wow, ok, yea, well, untill something changes, i think what we figured out last night is your best shot...

one thing tho.. i'm noticing that the stand is away from the wall a little bit, what if you cut a chunk of 3/4 ply, and screwed it down inside the stand, and have it stick out the back to the wall, then that way you can go bigger with the sump?

That would only give me about 12", with about 12" wide. I like the design we came up with last night. I think I might put my skimmer in the sump, just add a brace across the inlet area at about 13" high, and hang that sucker in there. Looks like I might get it built next week. Any word on the uv adhesive? I need to look that up. I think I will go with black pvc like on the uv, looks cleaner than the white. What type of glues you all use on the pvc? Do you clean the fittings? I work with that stuff and I dont think its very safe...but I've been wrong b4.

standard pvc purple primer and cement works just fine, just give it a chance to really cure, and then fresh water rince it once before putting it into your system, other than that, thats all i do..

just use the plain ol cheapo white pvc and then either paint it, or put some wireloom chaif strip stuff over it, that way you can allways rearrange...

you can hang the skimmer inside the sump, if it'll fit and stuff, i dont see a problem with that...

my question is left to right, is the intake for the skimmer on the left or right, and then the output is ?

what if the skimmer hung on the back wall, and the body of the skimmer stuck out the back of the stand a bit? that might give you more room... just a thought...

Back