Finally, getting my 75 gallon started

Great job on your refugium/sump!..it looks really nice...I would have gone with a 20 long if it would have fit under my stand, but am finding my 20 regular is working well...my rock arrives on Tuesday (the same day my new light arrives)

How are you plumbing things for the overflow and return flow?

for the overflow it's going to be 1 inch PVC pipe to a 1 inch valve, then out of the valve will be a barb fitting and switch to 1 inch clear tubing and that will go down to the sump. then the return is a valve right off the pump(mag 5) then barb fitting off that and clear 3/4 inch tubing up to the return nozzle. i'm going to have the skimmer pump out of the first chamber and return to the same one so it'll go through the bubble trap before going back up to the tank.

i also wnated to say thanks to everyone for all the help so far.

once i get my plumbing supplies in i'm going to get that all taken care of and get the tank full to make sure everything runs good with no leaks. i was wondering what to do with the extra water that will get displaced by the live rock? can that just be saved for a water change? or should i just leave the tank at the level it's at now and put in the rock then get everything running?

i figure if i leave it where is is now i can use what little will get displaced to fill the sump.

looks like your off to a wonderful start to a build here! Glad you went with the black tank and stand as opposed to most wood looks out there. thought i am a sucker for cherry wood. black is great! sump looks great too il be excited to see what you go for as far as lifestock... well except for the clownfish

ok, unless anyonehas any reason not to do it this way i'm going to get everything completely filled, sump running and filtering and all that stuff and then what ever gets displaced when we put in the rock will get put back into the rubber maid for the first water change. i'll start making the rest of the water to top off the tank tomorrow and have the plumbing stuff wednesday.

If you want a beutiful star that is reef safe, then go for a bali starfish. they are a beutiful red color. and they stay out in the open during the day so you can see them.

well, i've got everything plumbed except for one more hose clamp(return line) we'll be getting that tomorrow, and getting the water cirulating through everything. we're hoping to be ready to go to reef systems on saturday to look at and possibly buy our live rock.

i'll get pics up tomorrow, but i've gotta get to bed cause it's midnight and i've gotta be at work tomorrow morning at 6

well, our first speed bump just got us tonight. we were going to have the tank running to go get the rock tomorrow, but it turns out that the mag 5 we got was a dud. we ran it for a bout 30 seconds noticed a leak and shut it off. after i thought i fixed the leak we restarted it and it just bubbled a little bit and clicked. once i got it apart i immediatly noticed the plastic pin that locks the impeller to the magnet was broken off and just laying in the impeller head. we're heading to the LFS first thing tomorrow after church and see about getting us another one.

well, it was a bummer, but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. we went today and purchased about 125lbs of rock from Reef Systems Coral Farm, Inc and we were telling them our problem and they agreed to let us buy the rock(they were having a 1 year anniversary sale) an keep it there until we go the pump fixed. well he also is going to drill the tank for us for an overflow so i won't have to worry about a hang on over flow malfunctioning if the power goes out. we're going to get that done hopefully tomorrow and refill the tank and hopefully be ready to pick up the rock by thursday or so.

Also, not to plug Reef Systems Coral Farm, Inc but i'm going to plug them. todd and stephanie(i hope that's how you spell stephanie) were increadibly nice. they took about half an hour to 45 minutes just to talk about how everything works in our set up and stuff we might want to change or adjust. they are great people and they have great prices as well. if you live in central ohio definatly check them out. i don't know if they ship livestock or not, so i can't really comment on that.

Hate to hear about your pump trouble.If its a new pump,your LFS shouldnt have any problem replacing it.
Cant wait to see pics of the rock.

Got em yet?:mrgreen:

yeah, they gave me a new impeller as i walked in the door basically. i had called ahead to one of the managers that had helped us a lot during setup.

no we don't have the rock yet. we picked it out, but its sitting in the water at reef systems until we get the water back in the tank. i'm waiting for todd to email me back to see what would be a good day for him this week to drill the tank for me.

my one question is even if the hole for the bulk head is drilled at the very top of the tank with just the 20 gallon as the sump when the power goes out will there still be enough room in the sump for that extra 1-2 inches of water out of the main tank? the sump is fill a little less than 3/4th of the way when water was flowing through it.

my one question is even if the hole for the bulk head is drilled at the very top of the tank with just the 20 gallon as the sump when the power goes out will there still be enough room in the sump for that extra 1-2 inches of water out of the main tank? the sump is fill a little less than 3/4th of the way when water was flowing through it.

The only way to tell is to do a test run when you get everything set up. Get everything running, then unplug the pump and see where the sump fills up to. Make adjustments if you need to.

well, it's drilled and I LOVE IT. the bulk head has a 90 degree fitting off of it that will set the water level higher than the hole in the tank. i've got 2 pieces of PVC to buy today and i'll be gluing everything up tonight. i'll get some pics of everything tonight. this has worked out so well, talking to todd at reef systems was the smartest thing we've done so far.

ahh, I was wondering how long it would be until you updated the thread.

Also, we got one of those backgrounds from the LFS (plain black) and we cut it to size and hung it on the back last night. I know most people reccomend paint, but I didnt really want to commit to black forever (I like the look of blue too.) With a little patience and a lot of tape it worked out great. We'll have pics by the end of the week once we get our live rock.

(for those of you who don't know, I'm Pheeshes' wife.)

Back