Finally, getting my 75 gallon started

just a little tip for those plastic backgrounds, wetting them with a spraybottle, or a damp cloth, will allow them to cling to the tank. then only a piece or two of tape will be needed along the top.

well, everything is back together and there's water in it again. it's cloudier than the first time we put the water and sand in, but i'm sure that'll clear up sooner or later. i've got the powerheads going, but no heater and the water is not running through the sump. i had less evaporation than i thought, but enough that i didn't have time last night to make enough more before bed. this afternoon, i'm hopefully going to get it topped the rest of the way off and get the water flowing through the sump. the tonight we're going to get the salinity up to where it needs to be and get the rest fo the sand back in. then i'll hopefully get pics and pics if i can find the camera.

OK here are the pics we promised

this the fuge setup with everything except the live rock.
fuge5.jpg

bulkhead5.jpg

we have eggcrate for this side too, i just had it off because i was putting water in.
tanktop5.jpg

sidebulkhead5.jpg

here's behind the stand. the 2 surge protectors aer now attached to the back of the stand the the skimmer is a little trick to get to, but it's working great and we don't have to look at it.
skimmer5.jpg

I do have a little question. when we first filled the tank with water after about a day and a half. the water is taking longer to clear up this time and i was wondering if i should check anything to make sure the water is ok. when we took it out to drill for the bulk head it just sat stagnant in rubbermaids would that cause any problems or am i just impatient. i guess the water has only been back in about 2 days and only circulatingfor about 1 day. i'm working on getting the salinity correct this afternoon, and we're picking up the live rock on friday.

another problem that came up...the overflow into the bulkhead is making alot of noise. is ther any way to quiet it down. i mean alot of noise we could hear it upstairs when we went to bed.

The water sitting in the rubbermaids may have cause a little bit of a bacteria bloom.It should go away on its own.
The system looks great.

you will need to take the cap off the tee and drill a small hole in it. if that doesn't work, then drill the hole a little bigger. you will have to find the sweet spot to make it quite.

sorry, I didn't think to explain. the gurgling is caused by the water being siphoned from the tank. the siphon is caused from the rushing water through the pipe. drilling a hole in the cap breaks the siphon, and lets gravity do the work. the trick is finding the right size hole to keep the siphon broke. because if you go too big with the hole, it will be noisy again. about a 1/4 hole worked for mine. but start much smaller and go up as needed.

yeah, i'll have to try some different size holes. right now it's 1/8 th of an inch, because that's what the guy that drilled the tank for me told me i should use. is it one of those things where if the hole is the right size it'll quiet down immediatly or will it take a couple of minutes? as long as i get the salinity right we'll be picking up the live rock tomorrow. i tested it when i got home and it was 1.015 or so, so i added some salt and i'm letting it fully cycle through now. be back later with updates

yep, we're getting the live rock tonight i'm geting some fittings to try and stop the tank/toilet from flushing. i think if i take the 90 degree bend out of the drain line and get it just below the water surface it should cure it. i drilled out the vent cap hole from 1/8th all the way up to 1/4th inch in 1/64th increments and it didn't change the sound at all.

well, we got the live rock and we absolutely love it. i kinda went alittle picture crazy, but who doesn't like pictures. it's so much easier than reading.

vegotrock001.JPG

vegotrock002.JPG

vegotrock003.JPG

vegotrock004.JPG

vegotrock005.JPG

vegotrock006.JPG

vegotrock007.JPG

vegotrock008.JPG

vegotrock009.JPG

vegotrock010.JPG

vegotrock011.JPG

vegotrock012.JPG

:^::Cheers::bounce:

Thats some great looking rock.Looks like its got some great coralline coverage on it.
Y'all are going to have a great looking reef there.

nice rock. It looks like you got some pretty big pieces. was this your'e first shot at aquascaping? you'll probaly change your'e mind and move everything three or four more times. LOL everyone normally does. my tank has been up for 14 months, and I still find myself moving a small rock or two around sometimes.

yeah, this is when we first put it in the tank. we went pretty slowly and took stuff back out and put it back in. it came out to 128 lbs. the light is a nova extreme pro. the very last shot is the switch for 1 actinic and the 3 daylights. i think all the other shots except the first is with all of the lights on.

Back