Finally, getting my 75 gallon started

Pheeshes

Reefing newb
well, i've finally got it all figured out...sort of. if the weather cooperates i'll be leak testing the tank tonight or tomorrow. i'm ordering the glass for the refugium tonight(it's a 20 gallon long) and i've gotta either order the plumbing stuff or just get it from home depot.

it's a 75 gallon all glass aquarium, the lights are "48 nova extreme pro's, it has a 600 GPH CPR overflow that leads to the sump/refugium. the fist chamber will house the pump and return line from the skimmer then flow through a bubble trap then through the refuge and over one more devider to the return pump (MAG 5).

i'm not exactly sure how i'm going to route the water back into the tank, but possibly one of the U tubes or spray bars.

the skimmer is a CSS 125, i've also got an eheim 2217 canister for polishing the water and running carbon.

it has 2 koralia 3s for power heads, i went with oceanic for the salt and caribsea argonite for the sand. i know i'm forgetting something, but i've gotta post pics next time anyway, so hopefully we can find the camera battery.

I used 3/4 vinyl tubing to plum in my return.You dont have to worry about leaks as much that way.

yeah, it's harly much of a showcase, yet. i cannot figure out what happened to the camera battery. i'm going to have to just break down and get another one. i think the stupid cat took it somewhere or pushed it into on of the vents.

well guys my wife found her camera today so here come the pictures.

i installed the RO/DI unit above our washer/dryer on the wall. it's all plumbed in and ready to go. we're going to start filling once we test the tank for leaks(hopefullly tomorrow)

unit.jpg

here's just a picture of the skimmer. because of the limited undertank space the skimmer is going to go on a stand behind the tank. it'll be on a stand alittle higher than the box it is on in the pic so keep it above the sumps water line and make it easier to get to for emptying the cup and cleaning and maintenace.

skimmer.jpg

here is a pic of the tank with the lights on and the flash and a second without the flash. we are using the nova extreme pros, but these photos are taken with one of the bulbs out(broken during shipping, new one on the way, great customer service from drfostersmiths)

flashlights.jpg

noflash.jpg

this is just the overflow, CPR 600 gph. i'm looking into one of their pumps to maintain the siphon, but i may try it without first.

overflow.jpg

and now the part that everyone has been waiting for the sump/fuge setup. i cut out cardboard rectangles that should be the same size as the glass i ordered which should be ready for pick up tomorrow.

refuge3.jpg

refuge2.jpg

refuge4.jpg

the flow willgo from right to left. the overflow will drain into the far right the skimmer will draw out of that spot also and return to there. then through the bubble trap into the fuge then over another divider and to the Mag 5 return pump. i'll be either getting the plumbing soon from homedepot or i'll be ordering from drfostersmith.

for a 75 will the return pump and two koralia 3s be enough flow or will i need more?

thanks for looking ladies and gentlemen

Everything looks great. You will have a very nice set up. Sorry I don't know much about the koralia's because I have never owned one, but I know someone on here can help you with that.

Yeah, i was thinking it should be. i was doing some reading at reefcentral...can i say that here? haha, and there were some people talking about using 2 koralia 4s and a 3 in a 55 gallon and i didn't see how that wasn't a sand storm

Love the setup you got.Have you given any thought were to purchase your liverock from?Ive heard good things about coralife super skimmers.

Two Koralia 3 will work just fine.The reason I don't like the model 4's is because they are so darn big.I would definitely go ahead an pick up the small aqualifter pump for the overflow.It will save you some headaches,especially saltwater in your mouth.

BTW,everything looks totally awesome!!!

for live rock we are looking at the LFS it's going to be less than 7.50/lb, but i don't know how much less. we are talking about ordering 75-100 lbs so he said he would give us a deal better than 25% off and it's normally 10/lb. there is another really nice place here in central ohio Reef Systems Coral Farm, Inc that we are looking at also and i we were going to have it shipped we would probably go with tampa bay salt water. still up in the air right now, but we're fairly sure we're going to try to go with the LFS and if it isn't live enough for us we'll add some already cured rock from somewhere else.

reeffreak, i'm so glad you posted. i had looked at replacing 3 of the bulbs(your recommendation from the nova extreme pro thread) if you were going to replace all 6 what would you recommend?

Don't forget to check Saltycritter.com.They have some awesome live rock.The Uaniva live rock is some of the best I ever seen.They are located in Ohio near Cleveland so shipping ground to you should be cheap.Cured was only $5.50 a lb and uncured live rock was $3-4 a lb.

Cured and Uncured live rock from Bali, Fiji, Tonga, & Uaniva.Saltwater aquarium supplies and equipment from Salty Critter

If that was my fixture than this is what I would go with.It will be on the bluish side.

ATI blue plus
UV Aquasun 10k
UV Super Actinic
GE 6500k
ATI Blue plus
ATI Aquablue special 12k.

If you do replace the bulbs where are you going to get them at?
I recommend Reefgeek.com for bulbs.They can help you more on what look you prefer.

amazing set up. oh I am excited to see it filled with water. what is your livestock plan?

-Doc

I can't believe how incredibly similar your setup is to mine...just starting out as well...only using a 40 gallon breeder tank...my 36" Nova Extreme light arrives tomorrow...and am building my 20 gallon aquarium beneath my stand into an almost exact same refugium/sump as you. I also just ordered a Koralia 3 as an internal tank pump. Only thing different is that I'm creating a "T" in my return...are you getting as impatient as I am? :)

I'm cutting out cardboard as soon as I type this so I can use as templates for my plexiglass cutting Saturday morning using my stepdads table saw.

Gotta love that Nova Extreme :)

as far as live stock i haven't given it a whole lot of thought yet, because having the tank ready for fish still seems pretty far away. i'm required(by my wife) to have at least one clown fish(nemo) and i'll probably end up with at least two and she also wants a choclate chip starfish. other than that, i want an anemone to host the clowns and eventually some zooas. other than that i'll have alot of questions to ask when the time gets a little closer. i like wrasses and those kind of fish. mostly i'll be looking for pretty fish that are "easy" to care for, unless i see something i really like.

i've been pretty good about not being impatient until fedex brought most of the stuff. then we went to the LFS and bought more stuff then we found a petco going out of business and bought more stuff and now i'm totally glad i got the new credit card with 0% apr for a year, haha. i've gotta run it by the wife cause she doesn't know, but i'll hopefully be ordering the plumbing stuff tonight unless i can find it at lowes.

i'll hopefully be ordering the plumbing stuff tonight unless i can find it at lowes.
What are you plumbing?...I created a "T" return from my sump so I'll have a return flow on each side of the aquarium...if you are doing something similar just run to your local Tru Value or Westlake Ace Hardware store and pick up the PVC tubes and elbows there...I created my return for a whopping $8.75 :) AND I am about as far from being a handyman as there is :)

well, i need longer lines to and from the skimmmer because it's not hanging on or sitting in the sump, i need feed from the over flow and return from the pump in the sump. and i might need more hose for the canister. i'm planning on just using clear vinyl tubing so i can see if there are any obstructions and the feed and returns for everything are all different sizes. i'm going to look at lowes at lunch time, with the two valves i was adding in it was going to be like 80 bucks with the fittings and adapters and tubing.

Back