Fishsticks Custom 130Gallon Rimless, LED Build

fishsticks

No clue about reefs
Hey everyone i hope some of you remember me, its been months since i've posted on here. i will begin this thread by saying i hope u all will enjoy this build as much as i will.
i will start very shortly tomorrow i make a down payment on my tank an give custom measurements, the tank from what i can think of will be...

48" Long (Left to Right)
24" Deep (Front to back)
20" Tall (Bottom to Top)
= 100 Gallons or so

i wanted a long enough tank so the fish can have some swimming room
also i wanted a deep tank i love tanks that have alot of sand "big sand bed?" i want to place alot of clams and coral on the sand etc..
20" in height i feel is nice i dont like tall tanks because they r too deep i dont see much advantage in height that is huge. (just me nothing against any ones tank)
i will have more specs for everyone in the coming days.
i will have a 30 gallon fug/sump.
i will have LED lights.
i will have a protein skimmer.

this is just a heads up on whats coming to this thread, i thank u all again for reading an hopefully following. this will be my first custom build an i will need help thanks again.
here is a pic of my old tank i hope some of u can remember it.
29gallon oceanic bio cube, up for sale right now with chiller.:bounce:
DSC00360.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Im Back!! & Im Officially Building My Dream Tank

Welcome back :) Can't wait to see your progress with the new tank, I know its gonna be awesome.

I'm glad you're getting a bigger tank! If it's even half as amazing as your current tank, it will still be stunning!

Sounds awesome! I love seeing builds with LEDs they always look great.

thanks everyone yea, im excited. i now have some money so now i can really build my tank the way i always wanted it. stay tuned hopefully ill have more info for you all today.

question for some of you, what is the best protein skimmer for a 100 gallon tank.
also do i include the sump/fuge when i give tank total water size.
the tank is 100gallons. sump/fuge is 30.
total water in gallons 130.

Last edited:

question for some of you, what is the best protein skimmer for a 100 gallon tank.
also do i include the sump/fuge when i give tank total water size.
the tank is 100gallons. sump/fuge is 30.
total water in gallons 130.
It won't matter that much, I don't think you'll find a skimmer that won't work for both sizes. I would go for one rated at 150-200 gallons. And for the money, you can't beat the reef octopus skimmers.
i have decided on a light, i just would like some feed back.
i found this in google.
i posted the tanks measurements above will the this light be enough?

these are detailed specs.
ECORAY TM 60 HIGH PAR LED LIGHT

Hands on with the Ecoray 60 LED reef light

thanks for the feed back.

also can anyone tell me what this par side by side means?

PAR Demonstration

It will be enough light but, you'll need to buy at least 2-3 of them possibly 3-4 modules to have enough light for your tank. Basically when it comes to PAR the higher the better. And the higher the PAR the further down in your tank you can keep more light demanding animals.

2 or 3 :(
ok i was thinkin about 2, when i was at the lfs, they had 1 on a tank that measured 48"length 14" height 24" width. and it had clams.
but i am pushing it with only 1?

Well, I said so many because on the website it says, "For best results, we recommend one ecoray 60 for approximately 13"x18" area."
You don't need to have that many but, to be able too keep anything you want at any spot in the tank you will. If you only do two you'll have to make sure to keep the more light demanding stuff closer to under the fixture.

just in case, i needed a chiller for my small biocube.
but its all enclosed, and operates 4 pc's 36watts each. my room has carpet.
i already began removing the carpet i am installing wooden floors before i get the new tank, the whole room is getting a remodel.
ill hold off on the chiller ofcourse since now i will have a rimless system with LEDs + hardwood floors.
i was just curious on what u guys thought. thanks again.

Yea, LED's will make things a whole lot cooler, my brother bought me a Maxspect G2 for my birthday and its on its way down now, when I upgrade to my 5ft ill need 3 of them to cover the takn.

So thats probably a bit of an estimation on what you need and they are 160 w a unit.

Congratulations btw :)

Thanks jmck just came back from the petstore today, this is whats in the making.
the tank will now be 48x24x16, i am going with a short tank long tank look, not to tall.
Tank set up details:
-Rimless Tank
-Diamond edge cut
-The glass is Starfire Glass
-Black glue
-Trapazoid Overflow center of the tank
-2 snake-line single tap on each side of the Trapazoid Overflow
-32" black pine stand
-3 chamber sump/fuge
-2 ecoray 60D LED fixtures
-1 octopus xp2000 skimmer
tank now is a 80 gallon set-up with a 30 gallon sump/fuge.
and now i am going with a super reef octopus skimmer xp1000

Last edited:

I'm running 4 Ecoray 60D LEDs over my 120 (48x24x24). I love it, but its probably overkill. I could have done just two, and turned them the long way. Heres a pic of my setup to give you an idea...

IMG_0168.jpg

Super Reef Octopus XP2000 Internal SRO-XP2000I - English

i think this will do? any thoughts

thanks BL1 im completely new to the skimmer and light stuff.
my last tank was a all in one. so no mods needed

I have the same skimmer except I have the inside the sump version. It has done an excellent job of removing gunk. My only issue is that after only 6 months of use the pump went out. :( Hopefully you'll have better luck.

I'm running 4 Ecoray 60D LEDs over my 120 (48x24x24). I love it, but its probably overkill. I could have done just two, and turned them the long way. Heres a pic of my setup to give you an idea...

IMG_0168.jpg

How much is it per Ecoray 60 unit? From what I have learned, LED lighting is new technology when it comes to the Aquarist hobby.

I also like the fact that LED's last longer and generate less heat. That means that there would be less evaporation from the surface and less water top offs!

I've also heard it uses less energy. So that basically means that it would cut utility costs on electricity?

..........THOSE LIGHTS ARE AWESOME!!!

Back