Fishy's First Ever 90g Aquarium!!

So sad! There have been a lot of people having trouble with their chromis lately......makes you wonder if it isn't an issue of unhealthy populations where they zre being collectd....

Hannah, I think that's a big part of it. One is clearly the bully, and especially since they were all shipped in the same little bag, I am sure that made shipping doubly hard on them.

Samhain, that's a great point! There have been a lot of people with chromis trouble lately. Mine aren't the blue/green chromis (look identical but different species), but I'll bet they are being collected from the same areas as the others. I'm just glad I got them from LA (despite shipping stress) since they have the 14-day alive guarentee.

Update: the one that was hiding did finally come out of the rocks today, but definitely has an unusual black spot on his jaw. The spot is totally different than the one that was on the head of the other one. I have no idea what it is, but it doesn't look good. He did green up and has been out swimming all day. It took awhile, but his swimming finally got better and seems normal now. He's also back to his bullying behavior of the little one. And tonight I saw the weirdest shimmering areas on the little one. It was like the blue in my lights caught him just right and it looked like weird whitish/silverish spots all over his back. I caught it with my camera phone, but when he moved from that part of the tank I couldn't see them anymore. Sadly, this means I now think he might be sick too. This just totally sucks. Hopefully one of the two will pull through for the long haul.

Oh good! That's a relief! It was the strangest thing, all of a sudden it was there, then gone once he moved to another area! I won't worry about him then :)

Both fish are still alive and seem to be behaving normally today (yay!)

Here's a few pics I took with my phone yesterday of them

Black spot on the jaw of my bully that was new as of yesterday (and is slightly bigger today)

Super-freaky silver streaks that briefly appeared on my little one last night!

My kitty (Ella) supervising water production :) (She is such the helper LOL)

Nice pics! The pic of the streaks is really cool! Hope the one with the spot is ok. It didn't look like much to me, but hard to tell in pics sometimes.
Also, cute kitty! :D

Thanks Angie! She is such a funny cat, love her to pieces!

I should have said black spot on the bottom of its head - it really is further down than the jaw, almost at the base of the head. It's about twice the size today. But he's acting normal today. I think he has a better chance at fighting it off than the other one did since he's the bully and not being stressed by something else. We'll see!

Well, the black spot has gotten progressively worse and over the past half hour or so I've watched him turn pale and start listing to the side. Little one is now bullying him too, I guess the little one knows he's in charge now. My sick one isn't going to make it through the afternoon I'm sure. Today is exactly 2 weeks from when I got him, so hopefully LA will still refund. I've been taking pictures of the spot as its increased in size throughout the week. So sad. I wish I knew what it was. Little one still looks fine. Hopefully he's not carrying the same disease. I think both larger ones have the same disease, a single large black spot appearing on on their heads (one on the forehead, one on the bottom by his gill). Any ideas what disease it might be? I don't think its black itch or black spot disease since those both describe multiple dots appearing all over the body. Such a bummer :(

Im sorry :( Dang. I thought that one was going to get better.

Thanks Angie. It is a bummer, but isn't quite as hard to take as the first one. He was still alive and eating when I left the office today, we'll see what tomorrow brings. I don't expect him to be around much longer. I did call LA before I left today to advise them of the situation since today was the end of the 14-day life guarantee. They kindly agreed to extend the guarantee another week since it is likely that if he doesn't make it it will happen in the next few days. I also described the black spot problem to them that both fish developed and they will look into it to see if there is something wrong with that particular lot of fish.

In the mean time, I added several new inverts to my tank on Tuesday and just finished uploading all the pics to flickr, so will be posting new photos shortly - stay tuned! ;)

New Tank Inhabitants :Cheers:

Pink Pincushion Urchin

Purple Short-Spined Pincushion (I plan to add a purple hairy pincushion as well in the near future)

Red Tuxedo Urchin (this guy is teeny, about the diameter of a quarter!)

Turbo & Chestnut Turbo mowing a path through the algae!

Turbos (and an astraea conehead) munching away at algae - you can see the after picture above with the red tuxedo urchin, with a little help from me pulling out the longest strands since they were just eating the bottom and then I was having loose strands floating all over my tank!

Emerald Crab - such a fun guy to watch! (bad pic, but I took an awesome video of him two-fisting dinner that I've got to upload to you-tube!)

Feather Duster (out all the time now that its acclimated!)

Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (wish the pic showed how adorable these little guys are!)

Lettuce Sea Slug (terrible picture, but I'll get a better one when I find my real camera and he moves out of the back corner)

Updates

Black-spot on the chromis, visibly bigger than earlier in the week

Australomussa Coral before target feeding

Awesome Feeding Response! (see my australomussa thread in the corals section for more pics) I'm totally in love with this coral :)

Matty, when you are ready to get corals, get with me and maybe we can get some at a good discount ( unless you already have a supplier)

I am very excited to announce the addition of Astrid, my new Tail-Spot Blenny! She arrived yesterday and is still settling in, complete with her scardy-cat stripey camo! I'm still trying to get a picture of her, but she is perched near the back of my tank and my phone camera doesn't have a zoom feature. She is eating like a champ and I'm having a lot of fun watching her. Official introduction pictures to come as soon as she ventures out a little further :)

And, in other news, my australomussa is showing nice signs of recovery after being munched! It is still in its protective cage until I've moved the urchin to its new home, but I'll post recovery pics as soon as the protective cage is gone!

I am very excited to announce the addition of Astrid, my new Tail-Spot Blenny! She arrived yesterday and is still settling in, complete with her scardy-cat stripey camo! I'm still trying to get a picture of her, but she is perched near the back of my tank and my phone camera doesn't have a zoom feature. She is eating like a champ and I'm having a lot of fun watching her. Official introduction pictures to come as soon as she ventures out a little further :)

And, in other news, my australomussa is showing nice signs of recovery after being munched! It is still in its protective cage until I've moved the urchin to its new home, but I'll post recovery pics as soon as the protective cage is gone!

Nice!! Can't wait to see the new little guy, and it's exciting that the coral is improving! :D

Back