Flame and lemon peel?

recliner

Reefing newb
Could I add a lemon peel angel to my tank that already has a flame angel? I got the flame 2.5 weeks ago and he is still hiding most of the time. I'd get the lemon peel in another 1.5 weeks and it would be about 1" bigger.
I read on live aquaria that It should Be housed with dissimilar genre.
Flame Angelfish (Centropyge loriculus)
Lemonpeel Angelfish (Centropyge flavissima)
is the genre the centropyge and the second is the species?

It will be a crap shoot. They could fight in the beginning and then get along great as they grow. They could get along great in the beginning and start fighting as they get older. They might never get along or may always get along.

A flame angel is generally one of the last fish you want to introduce because it becomes very territorial and since you are considering introducing another angel it COULD get ugly. I wouldn't do it if it was me but good luck on whatever you decide. The genus is listed first.

Last edited:
I'll pass on him. I've gambled enough for a while by adding the flame to my reef tank. No need to press my luck. Thanks

Lemonpeel angels can be pretty aggressive, so I think it would be fine mixing with the flame... but I also have heard they aren't as reef safe as the flames (e.g., you'll have a better chance at finding a flame that won't touch your corals than a lemonpeel).

My lemonpeel would mow through any SPS... she left everything else alone.

I kept a flame and a lemonpeel together for a while in a 150... they chased each other pretty relentlessly.

Back