Flushing a RO membrain

AHill40

reefer head
Well im hooking my ro I got from pwc as we speek and there direction are a bunch of bull :pooh:. It says I need to flush the membrain out if it gets silty. The package that the membrain came in says to flush it out for a min of 2 hours ,its says it may have this chemicail in it to blah, blah, blah,does it or dont it? The instructions to are not really clear on how to flush the membrain out. Can some one help me here that might have done this? please help. LOL its two in the morning here and Im ready to get this over with.

When I first got mine I didn't realize how to either and just basically ran the unit. But to flush it just take off that flow restrictor on your waste water output, since there is not restriction all of the water will run out the waste water output which will flush the membrane. Some RO kits actually have a valve on the flow restrictor which allows you to do this, but since your's is from pure water club just unscrew that 450 flow restrictor and drain the water somewhere.

Last edited:
The problem I was having is that the package that had the membrain in it says...Caution Element may contian perservative solution...Wet tested membrane elements contain a 1% sodium meta-Bisulfite perservative solution to prevent microbiological growth and must be flushed for a minimum of 2 hour prior to use....What got me is where it said may contain, I always hate when they do or say that becuase then you wounder does or dont it. Any ways thanks every one for the help

I thought mine said that I should flush it for at least 30 minutes and then something else about 2 hours, I think I flushed mine for like a hour or something.

i flushed mine for a couple hours and then made a bunch of water and tossed t all out. before i started saving the water for my tank.

I think my wife :grumble: going to flip the hell out when we get our next water bill :twocents:. so much wated water down the drian (later i will use on plants) and so little good water for my fish and corals, Whom do i make happy :shock: LOL so as now this is what im doing :bowdown:to keep her happy but my fish and corals....:sfish:... were getting rid of the green :mrgreen:. shell be alright:bounce:

The problem I was having is that the package that had the membrain in it says...Caution Element may contian perservative solution...Wet tested membrane elements contain a 1% sodium meta-Bisulfite perservative solution to prevent microbiological growth and must be flushed for a minimum of 2 hour prior to use....What got me is where it said may contain, I always hate when they do or say that becuase then you wounder does or dont it. Any ways thanks every one for the help

"may contain" - means that you should ASSUME it DOES contain

So flush it by letting it run for a couple hours. Just let it run and dump it all down the sink.

Now - AFTER you start using it, there will eventually come a time when the performance begins to suffer. It will start to slow down and the water will just drip out. That is an indicator for you. Now it is time to actually flush the membrane. The membrane gets clogged with all the particles it's filtering out. So you open the pressure valve and allow the water to simply rush through the filter. This will help slough the dirt and sediment off the membrane and open the membrane pores again. Performance will increase to normal levels after a 1 minute flush. Simply open the restrictor valve for a minute and allow the unit to run. Then close the valve and you're ready to make more clean RO water for the tank.

i just ran my unit till the "good" output read 0 TDS, everything before that i threw out, everything after that has gone in a tank... i didnt worry about it, and i havent had any problems...

Back