free 120

over my head

Reefing newb
so my wifes friend has a 120 gallon tank she wants to get read of. It was her sons cricket farm, the catch is her some drilled a hammer through the bottom corner. So (A) repair it the right way remove broken sheet of glass, or (B) 1/2 plexe in lay inside the tank and seal it to the sides flip tank over and add 1/2 in plywood to bottom for extra support the hole is a hole two maybe three cracks protruding from said hole the glass is not tempered and the hole is in the right spot for a over flow comments and feedback please

I would not be able to sleep at night with that tank full of water. IMO, you are just asking for trouble fixing it with the plexiglass. I also wouldn't trust my skill in replacing the entire pane of glass.

yeah im up i the air its 1152 sq in and 1/2 plexe can support 16pounds per sq in as per the folks at lexon i weight in at 170 and for shits and grins stood in side the tank to see what might happen nothing happend but fresh water weights at 7.48 pounds per gal thats 900 pounds minus rock and sand displacement i came out to around 1400 pounds all set up i just wish i could find out what type of adhesive tanks are made with some math maybe out there

Last edited:
I think the biggest problem would be the bonding of the plexiglass to the real glass. The adhesives for the two materials are different. Silicon doesn't adhere to it that well.

I wouldn't trust trying to fix it...maybe a glass shop could do it for you. Are the small cracks still within an inch diameter from the hole, because that's how big a drilled hole would be for an overflow.

The hole and cracks are right where I would put the over flow the plan was/ IS to build the over flow like.a.factory made tank there would be no rock or.sand in that corner do.to the radius of the over flow I'm that corner

I think I'm going to make.the repairs and set it up on the porch with sinderblocks and water for a few weeks and see how it works put

I think I'm going to make.the repairs and set it up on the porch with sinderblocks and water for a few weeks and see how it works put

Sounds like a plan. I also wouldn't rely on a layer of plexiglass protecting the hole. I'd either drill the area of the break to make an overflow, or take it to a glass shop to get the whole bottom panel professionally replaced.

I would go with having the glass replaced, but if the break is where you're going to put the overflow why bother? and not to nitpick but water is 8.3 #/gal so that adds another 100 lbs-ish to your weight estimate.

I would think it depends on the diameter of the hole with the cracks ??? That way you can just drill around it and add a bulkhead to it then cover it with the overflow box and your set. But if its to wide with the cracks then you should just get the glass replaced.

I would still be wary even after drilling. You don't know if there are tiny fractures that you can't see with the naked eye that are spidering out away from the hole. But that is just me.

I would still be wary even after drilling. You don't know if there are tiny fractures that you can't see with the naked eye that are spidering out away from the hole. But that is just me.[/QUO You are absolutly right i talked to our engineer at work and then agian to my uncle at Corning they both kind of agree that if i take the load bearing resposablity away from the damaged sheet of glass and as long as the plexe inlay is water tight it (should) be ok. But i think uncle Mike is still mad about loosing the last poker game we played, and our engineer went to Auburn thats why i ask all you folks i am picking up the tank to day

i got 7.48 because that is whats on the operators lic. test thats the number your local water distribution company will use in their formula when they build such things as ground storage tanks elevated tank its been used for ever most people will round up to 8 lbs.not every thing on the net is true and thank you Bifferwine i have wondered how much salt water weights but work frowns on me removing a chlorine tank off the skale to get official weights on account it sounds a loss of chlorine alarm and gets reported to dep and the fire department and if im wrong sorry but i pass my test and thats all that matters'dont mean to be a ass i need all the help i can get thank you to evry one who chimes in i really do appreciate it

Last edited:
Back