Frozen foods

kbuser92

Breeder
So I bought some frozen Formula One for my clown and was wondering how yall feed your fish with it or with Rod's or whatever. I was thinking its healthier than just mysis and I also thought frozen was preferred over pellets. Should I go buy the pellet or flake form or how do I use this? She doesnt seem to want to touch it, but probably only cuz Im unsure how to feed it properly.

As always, thanks in advance.

Yea, I have a very small tupperware container that I put the food and RO into to let it thaw, then I'll pour a little bit of the food at a time,

I thaw enough for one feeding in RO in a shot glass and feed it with a baby medicine dropper a tiny bit at a time. Mind you I'm only feeding two fish! I have three, but my nano blenny never comes out to eat. I'm pretty sure she's a detrivore that just feeds on the waste in the tank. Whatever she eats, she's obviously getting enough of it, since she's fat, happy, and surviving!

I have a mixing cup that I use to thaw out my frozen, once its been sitting for about 15 minutes or so, I dump it in right in front of the MP40, and it gets moved all around the tank and everyone gets fed

If your fish doesnt like the formula II frozen, you may need to find something else that it does like, Formula I, Rod's Food, etc

Thawed in a cup of tank water and then swirled around and poured in a little at a time. I usually take 5-10 minutes to feed the 5-6 "doses I get in one cup. Pour it right in front of the Korilla and watch the swarm.
If I understand your post correctly, you only have the one fish so I wouldn't feed a whole cube at a time. Cut the cube up into 3rds or 4ths and keep the unthawed portion in a small freezer bag. Just my 2 cents.

I keep hearing a lot about rinsing frozen foods. Nobody has mentioned it in this thread. Is the formula one good about not raising phosphate levels?

I thaw mine in tank water and then feed with a turkey baster

+1

Now I just need to know how much to feed.

Using a knife, I cut off about 1/4 or less of a frozen cube, thaw it in tank water and feed the clowns and the goby with a turkey baster.

The clowns will eat right out of the turkey baster! :sfish:

I shoot food to the bottom for the goby. He comes out of his cave and has a feast.

Am I feeding enough? Too much? Water parameters are near perfect since putting the algae scrubber into operation. Phosphates are between 0 and .25.

Ive only had her for 3 days so well see if she doesnt like it.

Ive only been giving a quarter cube, which Ill probably start cutting in half cuz everything else eats it and Ill just thaw the rest for her.

Ill probably go buy some original Rod's and something else like Marine Cuisine so I can switch it up.

I think you might have a problem with the syringe and trying to feed fish food, i dont think the opening of they syringe will be big enough to get all the chunks in/out

Eh, Ill try it tonight otherwise I live a few blocks from a grocery store so Ill run and get a baster. My moms done daycare for 20 years so she gave me a couple and I figured I can try. Ill find a use for them if they dont work.

Those syringes worked well enough for my needs. I thawed some mysis for my CUC and my clown went crazy over that. I dont blame her, she hasnt eaten in 2+ days unless she found a snack in my tank. She also seemed to enjoy the Formula One. I get paid Thursday so Ill pick up Rods and Marine Cuisine, too.

3 questions:
Is that enough variety between the four?
Is there another brand/type I should get?
How many times daily? I was thinking once and getting double with her and my CUC, but I can change that as necessary.

Thanks again guys.

I think 4 different types of food would be great. Especially with the ones you are using. Sounds like you have a good plan.

I feed 2 full cubes 6 days a week. This may take me 15-30 minutes to feed. Algae sheets 4-5 times a week, but I have a much larger group of fish and several are larger fish.

yes, once a day is ok. If your fish are consuming the food in less than a minute feed more often. As bad as it is on your water quality to overfeed, it is just as hard on your fish to underfeed. If they aren't consuming all the food in 2-3 minutes then you are overfeeding. It really is pretty simple and you have a good list of foods to help keep them healthy.

Back