fuge light

meshman10

"YA CANT FIX STUPID"
OK here goes, had the 55 now for about 2 yrs. moving on up to a 90 ( wanted a 100 or a 110 didnt work out). puting a sump under the 90 that is big enough for a 120, (down the road). I have done some homework and understand that you can go pretty cheap on the fuge light, I was looking on e bay and came across a JBJ 25 WATT 6400K refugium light..any thought's ???

Go to Home Depot and buy a $15 clamp-on light with a 25w incandescent bulb.

To grow macro algae - you don't need anything expensive or specialized. All you need is light - and not much of it.

Go to Home Depot and buy a $15 clamp-on light with a 25w incandescent bulb.

To grow macro algae - you don't need anything expensive or specialized. All you need is light - and not much of it.

I'm not sure I agree with that. You need lots of strong light on a fuge. I have multiple 15 watt lights (15 watts per gallon) over my fuge. The macro-algae should be growing if its getting enough light and doing its job. I have multiple lights in case one burns out while I am away for the weekend. If the fuge light goes out nitrate can rise rather fast. I have no skimmer on my tank --I rely on chaeto to keep 'trates at zero.

I wouldn't use an incandescent bulb. Maybe RC meant a swirly CFL bulb instead? A 23 watt swirly bulb is more than sufficient for a fuge, but not an incandescent (typical old-fashioned light bulb).

I wouldn't use an incandescent bulb. Maybe RC meant a swirly CFL bulb instead? A 23 watt swirly bulb is more than sufficient for a fuge, but not an incandescent (typical old-fashioned light bulb).

I know the difference between an incandescent bulb and a compact fluorescent. :grumble: Golly! I even knows what a T5 and a metal halide is too. :grumble:

You don't need a compact fluorescent bulb or any other "special" bulb. You need LIGHT and not much of it.

I used a 15w incandescent bulb (think appliance light for a stove or small refrigerator) on my HOB fuge for over a year. The cheato was growing so much I had to cut it out every month. Ran it 12on 12 off.

If I hadn't lost the memory card for the damn digital camera over Christmas break I'd take a picture and show it to you. :grumble:

Don't get any cheaper than this and it will grow all the cheato you can stand. It's an INCANDESCENT light. You don't have to use a 60w bulb unless you want bushel baskets full of cheato. 25w would be more than enough.
Incandescent Clamp Light - E-244 at The Home Depot

I jsut started hob fuge acutally i had a aqua clear 70 hob filter i took apart and made a fuge out of it i am using a work light a 13w and 6500k sitting over the top of it i have some live sand in the bottom about 2 lbs of LR and a bag of macro alge for a local lfs the lfs is not a shitty one they knew there stuff and i trust them i am a newbie to this should i keep the light on all the time or should do 12 on 12 off i read that if u turn the light off it relases bad stuff into your tank.. Can some one direct me on this issue pleaesee....:helm2:

Either keep the light on 24 hours a day, or run it opposite your main tank light schedule -- for example, if your display tank is lit between 8 am and 8 pm, then have your fuge light on between 8 pm and 8 am. Doing it one of these two ways will help keep the pH in your tank more stable.

Back