justin's 55 reef w/ATF

Justin33

Reefing newb
Ok, here goes.
After several months of research and proding from freinds, I finally decided to jump into the saltwater world. Thanks to all of your post to this site, I think I have a decent start with very little investment. I recieved a 55 and stand from a freind about six months ago and it sat empty until now. Here's the rundown:

55 gal tank - free
stand for tank- free
10 gal sump - free (the twenty a have won't fit under the stand.)
48" 760w Odessea light fixture - $20 (The guy said he couldn't take it apart to change the bulbs...had to drill out all the screws bause of rust)
2 - 250w matal halide bulbs, 4 - 65w 12,000k aktinc flourecent bulbs, 8 - blue LEDs - $125
600 gph overflow box - $42 (e-bay)
SCWD wavemaker, 250w heater, Rio 1700 pump, test kit, thermometer, power center - $160
40# Aragonite sand - $35 (20# in display, 10# in sump, 10# leftover)
200 gal box reef crystals - $55
Misc plumbing parts - free from neibor
120# Live rock - $50 (craigslist)

Thank you all for every ounce of info you have provided. I could not have even started without you. The tank is cycling now, and I will continue with updates as they come.

Attachments

• i-phone 3-22-11 111.jpg
    i-phone 3-22-11 111.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 398
  • i-phone 3-22-11 112.jpg
    i-phone 3-22-11 112.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 372
  • i-phone 3-22-11 113.jpg
    i-phone 3-22-11 113.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 367
  • i-phone 3-22-11 116.jpg
    i-phone 3-22-11 116.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 382
  • i-phone 3-22-11 118.jpg
    i-phone 3-22-11 118.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 395
  • i-phone 3-22-11 126.jpg
    i-phone 3-22-11 126.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 622
This is the scrubber after three days.
And something growing on one of the rocks.

Attachments

• i-phone 3-22-11 127.jpg
    i-phone 3-22-11 127.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 435
  • i-phone 3-22-11 125.jpg
    i-phone 3-22-11 125.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 432
Looks like closed up zoas. It also looks like you have a demsel in there, which you should remove because your tank is still cycling, and because they are holy terror to any new fish, and often bully other fish to death.

But i love how the tank looks!

I have several litle clusters of those on several of the rocks, and the ones that are getting more light open up a little but most of them are just there for now. I thought they might be zoas but not sure. when they open They have a bright lime green border with an orange speck in the center. Hopefully they will survive and do better when the cycle is complete.

I have two damsels in it per a buddy's recomendation to help the tank cycle faster. don't plan on keeping them though. They are his. Should I give them back now???

I have several litle clusters of those on several of the rocks, and the ones that are getting more light open up a little but most of them are just there for now. I thought they might be zoas but not sure. when they open They have a bright lime green border with an orange speck in the center. Hopefully they will survive and do better when the cycle is complete.

They sound just like some zoas i have in my tank

DSC_0025_2-1.jpg

Also, they are probably closed up because of the toxins in the water. They are very tough and should survive the cycle. But please return the fish, it wont make your tank cycle any faster, and to dye from ammonia poising is an awful way to go. Instead toss a piece of uncooked table shrimp in there for a couple of days and watch your parameters.

Also read this: https://www.livingreefs.com/water-chemistry-t31270.html

It should answer you questions on how to properly cycle a tank and has other incredibly valuable info about keeping a reef tank successfully.

Glad to see you are running a scrubber! Good luck getting those Damsels out of there.

Tanks looks GREAT! and really nice looking rock!

Fish are gone..... you guys made me feel like a murderer. I thought they would survive the cycle. Also took a shot of the zoas open as far as they have gone yet.

Attachments

• i-phone 3-23-11 001.jpg
    i-phone 3-23-11 001.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 336
Just an update,
Things are looking better.
Had a bad brown algea bloom and worked through it.
ATS is working like crazy.
Added a few corals (finger leather, duncan, zoa's, and a few mushrooms).
Ley all would only open about half way after a week, talked to a friend who told me my Odysea MH bulbs were crap and said I sould replace them. He also said to add more flow.
Replaced my "coral cookers" with new pheonix 250w MH 14,000k bulbs, and wow, what a diference.
Added two more power heads in DT
Also added one green bubble tip anenome, a blenny, and a foxface rabit (he loves all the new flow)
Tests are all 0 with a ph of 8.3
Could not have done it withaout you guys,
Thanks

give it time before you add anymore fish, your tank is somewhat new and needs to develop some and become establish

If i was you, i would return that nem. They need perfect water conditions, and stability, which most tanks dont have until they are year old. Any small swing in parameter can kill them, and then they will kill everything else from the toxins they release. They also require extremely high lighting conditions.

You might be lucky one of the lucky ones to get it to survive in such a young tank, but i personally wouldnt risk it.

And buddy08 is right, you need to slow down. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby.

K, nothing more for a long while. I will post more updates later, and consult with the forum before any other changes.
Thanks again guys.

Back