Gap between tank and stand

Charliegrs

Reefing newb
I have a glass 55gal and a wooden stand that are both second hand. I noticed after placing the tank on the stand that there is a considerable gap, about 1/4" in the center, between the tank and the stand. The edges are flush, but it gradually bows out to the center. I included a few cell phone pics of what Im talking about. Anyway, Im a little worried about this. I dont want to fill the tank up with water because I dont know what will happen, I am worried it will make the tank bend on the bottom where the frame isnt sitting on anything. Is there anything I can do about this? Maybe put some kind of wood underneath to level it out? Or am I out of luck?

Attachments

• IMAG0037.jpg
    IMAG0037.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 711
  • IMAG0038.jpg
    IMAG0038.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 729
I think you can use some of that stuff that you put under area rugs to keep them from sliding around. Or some self adhesive felt dots?

I think you can use some of that stuff that you put under area rugs to keep them from sliding around. Or some self adhesive felt dots?

You mean carpet padding? I heard its not good to have the glass itself supported, only the frame should be supported. Thats what I heard anyway, I dont know if its true. Something about supporting the glass can actually make it crack. I would like to have some padding underneath the tank if its ok to do that.

I'm not sure, but I think that as long as the corners of the tank are supported, the middle wouldn't matter as much....I could be wrong and you end up flooding your floor LOL Definitely watch that the foam board doesn't put pressure under the glass if there's a gap between the frame and the tank's bottom. It would crack.

Back