Garlic Dosing and what to use?

Hiker4twenty

Reef enthusiast
I'm asking this question on behalf of my brother (beam3er) and partly for me as well. He recently added a mandarin to his tank. Today he noticed that the dorsel fin was ripped up and the fish has ich. I assume it got ich from the stress of being attacked. What's attacking it is still to be determined. He saw 2 hitchhiker crabs with pointy pinchers and added a coral banded shrimp. His sps corals are also getting attacked so I'm leaning towards the HH crabs.

Anyway, I told him to start adding garlic to his food to help his fish fight the ich. What is everyone using that doses garlic...homemade or store bought.

If homemade..how do you do it? If store bought, what brand?

I've not used garlic myself,but I hardly ever feed my tank.
I do know that both Kent and Brightwell both have a garlic product on the market.

I take a garlic clove and run it through the food processor along with some emerald entree and silver sides and some RO water to thin it out. Then I freeze it in a ziplock bag and break of a small piece when I feed.

We keep plenty of fresh garlic in the house, I just grab a clove, peel it, put it in a glass, put in the microwave for about 10sec. the oil gets pulled out of it, then just pour it on the food.

Take the clove, put it in a bag, put it back in the fridge for the next time.

Hi Hiker4twenty (:D)
I use GVH from H20 Life - my local store carries it
H2O Life Aquarium Foods - GVH Fish Food Soak

I put a drop on frozen mysis, and let thaw/soak in fridge until I'm ready to use. I don't use it everyday, but several feedings a week. The fish seem to like it (appetite stimulant?), plus vitamins for overall health. I bought a Card with a 'nipped' tail. It grew back quickly, whether or not the GVH helped, it certainly didn't hurt!
David

I take a garlic clove and run it through the food processor along with some emerald entree and silver sides and some RO water to thin it out. Then I freeze it in a ziplock bag and break of a small piece when I feed.

I was actually wondering about putting cloves in a food processor with RO water and then mixing that with the food.

I was actually wondering about putting cloves in a food processor with RO water and then mixing that with the food.
I'm all for DIY, but for $7-10 for 2 OZ, I have enough for probably a year, and it's sooo easy! And no stinky fingers! It stores on the condiment shelf in the fridge. Great for making Mysis Shrimp Scampi, hold the butter! :Cheers:

I pressed my own for a while, but much prefer the store bought... :twocents:
Good luck Hiker420

I just stopped at Petco and they carry the Kent garlic extract. For a 1oz bottle it was $20. I'm definitely not paying that much for 1oz bottle of anything. I'll sooner make my own.

I just stopped at Petco and they carry the Kent garlic extract. For a 1oz bottle it was $20. I'm definitely not paying that much for 1oz bottle of anything. I'll sooner make my own.
This lasts me well over a year.

GarlicXtreme.jpg

Back