Garlic Food and other feeding questions

sandman

Reefing newb
I know this has been discussed and I have searched but can not get a specific answer. I read a thread on making garlic pure extract and soaking food in it.

My last black clown is acting fine but his skin is telling me something else. He appears to be having spots all over to him similar to ich.

This morning I cut up a clove of garlic, threw it in the grinder along with a tbsp of RO. I threw it all in a cheesecloth and strained it till I got all the liquid extract.
I then got the food I have been feeding which is plain mysis shrimp and Dr. G medicated nutrition. I thew about a 1/4 cup of these 2 foods (mixed) into the garlix extract mashed all around, put it in a new bag and from it made like a block of food.

Is this a good way feed the fish in just small frozen pieces? I want to do anything to keep my last clown alive.

Also I feed the fish and verts about a half teaspoon each day, Is this a good amount or too much/little?

Feeding Garlic on its own wont cure fish of disease they may have. I think it is used primarily as an appetite stimulant - the process you're using sounds about right to me.

It might boost the immune system, but its more know for stimulating the fish's appetite, which is still important IMO. As long as your clown keeps eating, there is a good chance he fight off the ich on his own. Just try and keep his environment as stress free as possible, keep good water quality and dont add any new fish till he is 100% better.

I just did a 10gal water change an another 25 on sunday. My alk was good but nitrate was off the chart. The clown is looking much better. I hope he pulls through. I will have to wait another 2-4 weeks to add a friend for the clown :(

Clown is looking much better today. I have high nitrates so I did a water change and I'm doing another 25-30 gal change on sunday. It's going to be a big, almost 50%, water change. I'm also going to slowly start removing the bio-balls and add live rock in their place. It's a small chamber though. Only about 8" x 8" x 10"

I wouldnt do that big of a water change, you can really stress them out because the conditions in the new water can be very different from what he is living in. I would do two, 25% water changes over a couple of days.

But im glad to hear he is looking better!

Back