Getting close to start up

JohnVH

Reefer Madness
Getting excited I'm getting close to my first start up. The tank is built 70 gallon 36"L x 18"W x 24"H tank is drilled at the bottom overflow in the middle. Waiting for the stand to be built then sump will be built.

I have:
6 Stage RO/DI 100G per day
Vertex N100 Skimmer
36” Coralife 4x39W w/ Lunar Blue LED 10,000K and Actinic
Saltwater Refractometer
4 - 750GPH Hydor Koralia Evolution power heads
Koralia SmartWave pump controller
300w Titanium heater and 1 300w backup heater
950GPH Danner mag drive return pump
Titanium Grounding probe (still on the fence with this)
API Saltwater Master Test Kit
Seachem Reef Crystals 160 gallon pail
65lbs of mixed reef rock I had got from a friend (rock has been bleached and currently in process of multiple rinses in RO/DI water and dechlorinator)

I need:
50lbs rock from Marcorocks or reefrocks.net
60 - 80lbs Bahama Aragonite Sand
The stand and canopy currently being built
3 chamber sump 25 - 30 gallon being built upon completion of the stand

I have asked many questions on this forum and the input has been greatly appreciated. I hope to post pictures soon and I also hope to contribute to this forum myself as I gain experience in this wonderful hobby. This has been something I have wanted to do for a very long time and I am very excited to be this close. Thanks again to everybody that has taken the time to answer my questions and I am sure there will many more.

THANX
JVH:D

Sounds like you're off to a great start! I also use the Seachem salt mix (though accidentally got the marine mix instead of reef crystals), and have noticed that it mixes on the high salinity side. At 1/2 cup per gallon, I'm getting salinity readings around 1.30 - 1.33 with my refractometer, and have verified that both my tap water and RO/DI water are at 0.0 starting. I don't know if the reef mix will also be high on the salinity side but wanted to give you a heads up so you can keep an eye out for it when you mix it up! It's easy enough to add in more fresh water to reduce salinity, as long as you've left enough room in the mixing bucket to do so!

Thanx everyone, and thanx for the heads up on the Seachem salt I'll be sure to keep an eye on it when I do my first mix.

Back