Grow Light cord? What cord do I need for this?

Laz

Reefing newb
I recently bought a grow light from a garage sale and it has this three pin port as shown below. I have no idea what sort of plug and where to buy this sort of thing from. Can anyone help? Details below

btr3.jpg

I would think you could pick one up from your local hydroponics store. Though, you will need a power supply unless you got one with it.

Just from the lable, it looks like it has a built in power supply. It says it takes AC voltage from 86 to 265 volts. You might be able to get a plug from Radioshack and make your own. Just need to figure out which prong is ground. You can do that by testing for continuity between the metal casing and the prongs. The light should be fully grounded.

Also, do you have a make and model of the light? It would help to determine what is needed.

Just from the lable, it looks like it has a built in power supply. It says it takes AC voltage from 86 to 265 volts. You might be able to get a plug from Radioshack and make your own. Just need to figure out which prong is ground. You can do that by testing for continuity between the metal casing and the prongs. The light should be fully grounded.

Also, do you have a make and model of the light? It would help to determine what is needed.

I see, thanks. It's unbranded I'm afraid so I can't really trace it. So I could just essentially buy a female 3 pin plug with a cord and plug it in? Any potential risks? I live in the UK and we run on 240VAC I believe. Not sure if that's relevant, I'm a bit of a novice on electronics.

I see, thanks. It's unbranded I'm afraid so I can't really trace it. So I could just essentially buy a female 3 pin plug with a cord and plug it in? Any potential risks? I live in the UK and we run on 240VAC I believe. Not sure if that's relevant, I'm a bit of a novice on electronics.

The biggest risk would be fire. You can also damage the light if it does need a specific powersupply and you put the wrong voltage on it. Since you are an electronic novice, I would suggest taking it to someone more knowledgeable to look at. Could you ask the seller if there was a cord for the light?

I personally would just n*****-rig it...find the pos, neg and ground and wire it up. If you aren't comfortable or don't have the knowledge, I would take the whole thing to an electronics store and they have all the info they need.

Thanks for the help, guys. I found on a lot of these types that there's no power supply and that all I needed was the 3 pin female socket and just a mains wire. Did it all correctly, solder and all and check the continuity in all of them. Plugged it in and works perfect, thankfully. What I found out is, it's actually a grow light for plants. :lol:

Any sort of place where I could get this sort of thing appraised? I want to sell it on. Guessing a Hydroponics store?

Back