Having crystal clearer water, possible????

Ariel110G

Reefing newb
What are the best methods for having crystal clearer water/what can I polish the water with?

So I have a 110G tank with more than 100LB of live rock inall sizes, deep sand bed, skimmer, & a MegaFlow4 sump /refugim. it’s the old one that has a back tray.

Stok List:
1 Bicolor Angelfish
1 Yellow Tang
1 Clarkii Clownfish
1 Blue Hippo Tang
2 Clownfish
2 Green Chromis
2 Fire Fish

My problem is that I want crystal clearer water & thereis always small particles of just dirt ( I think ) whatever it is in the water.I can’t use micron filter cloths at all because they get clogged up fast &then the black tray of my sump gets full of water & then water leeks out ofthe sump. I was thinking of getting a Marineland H.O.T. Magnum with the MicronCartridge that they have or something similar & just have it on my sump& that will help with polishing the water.

Is it possible to have crystal clearer water in a reef tank?Am I asking for too much?

I have a reactor with carbon gfo.

Well I think this is what I’ll do: From my overflow box Ihave 2 drains going into the 1st section of my sump, I’ll take one drain andjust get a filter stock holder & have it at my 3rd sections of my sump, skippingthe 2nd refuge section, so I’ll have one drain going through the refugim &the other one will skip the refugim.
let me know that you think.

I've seen crystal clear water and it looks beautiful but I can assure you -your filter feeders will whither and possibly die. I leave ample particles floating around my tank and my filter feeders grow like wild fire.

You might want to upgrade your skimmer. As a general rule, I've heard its a good idea to use a skimmer that is rated for twice your tank size. Maybe check out one of the Reef Octopus skimmers that you can put in your sump? They are amazing at pulling stuff out of the water column!

Vodka dosing is another way to get very clear water. But I agree with fast. Carbon is the quickest and best way to clear your water and does a great job. However I think it gets used up very quick (to the point where a good friend of mine with a beautiful SPS tank says the carbon is only good for about a week >_<. So you must replace it often.

I run BRS rox carbon and have a great Octopus skimmer and vodka dose, (just lacking a good micron filter) my water is very clear and my corals get GREAT PAR from my lights, but I can still see particles floating around the water column. Perhaps a fine micron filter bag is just the key. Most likely you will have to buy a large micron bag with a plastic rim and mount it somehow. thus way it will hold more and not clog so fast.

+1 for the upgraded skimmer. I ran both carbon and gfo for a long time and still had particles floating around. Upgraded my skimmer to one capable of twice my tank volume and bang!! Clean and clear wawa.

Back