Having issues maintaining my Alkalinity

Northstar24

The Tang Herder
Fellow reefers, I'm having issues maintaining the alkalinity in my tank and I'm hoping I can get some suggestions.

First- let me explain the situation. I recently started using the Bulk Reef Supply Two Part system for maintaining alk because I have had issues keeping it where its supposed to be solely with water changes. I just did some tests last night and this is what I got

Cal 520 PPM
Alk 6
Mag 1300-1350
PH 8.2

I dose about 3 ounces of the Alk Supplement from BRS, and that raises the Alk almost a full point. When I add this to the tank, I get a localized 'snowstorm' in the water column. I assume this is because the alk solution is concentrated and its causing precipiation of calcium (that and my cal is high)

I've read many different online articles and forum posts on alkalinity / magnesium / calcium in a reef tank - and they all say you dont want to raise alk by more than one full dKh per 24 hours. My problem is with my dosing I am struggling to keep it between 6 and 7, which is on the low side of alk. I'd really like to be closer to 9 (in the middle of the 7-12 thats generally reccommended.

I originally though my issues were due to low mag levels, but that does not seem to be the case. Thoughts / opinions/ ideas? Thanks!

I am struggling to accept the fact that you dose and have a constant Alk level of 6. I would buy or borrow another test and re-check. If you are dosing daily there is no way it should stay that low, unless you are not dosing enough.
Also, if you are creating a "snow storm", try adding your solution slower, and into water flow. It should go in milky looking and disappear almost immediately.

This is Alk test number 3. The first two were API, this one is Tropic Marin. When I add the solution, I add it near the Koralia 7 and it gets blown out into the tank pretty quick, but you can definitely see some precipitation. I've had the calcium numbers verified by my LFs, and they also told me the Alk was around 6, but that was about two weeks ago (before I had the Tropic Marin test which verifies thier results)

I'll see if I can get another Alk test to confirm

How slowly should the solution be added to the tank? Are we talking drips? I ususally filly the dosing cup and pour it in over 20-30 seconds

Last edited:
I pour mine in a bit faster than dripping. If you are getting the same test results over 3 different test kits, and LFS, I would try increasing the dose. I also use the BRS solutions, and I dose a full measure every other day in my 120. I'd move up to at least 150Ml per dose.

Was going to say the same thing, dose more, check it an hour after doing, theb dose again the next day. Have you been doing daily?

I've been doing most days. Been kind of crazy with work lately, as well as dealing with some storm damage so I've missed a few days. I really need to rig something up to handle this automatically

I wouldn't use a doing pump until you learn to stabilize it. Have you checked how muchit increases after you dose it? Set up what you believe to be alkaline increases of 1dkh and then make 7 so you can poor it in in the morning. Check at night what your alkalinity is at and report it.

If you see no increase, something is wrong, or your not doing enough. If it increases continue to the right level and do the same thing to maintain it. When you get to maintenance you only check once a week and just dose every morning

For some reason I thought I should only be dosing 3 ounces of alk, but I double checked on the BRS calculator and it was closer to 4.5 ounces. I dosed that and it went from somewhere between 7-8 to 9, so I am going to try that dose for a few days and see what happens

I checked it again this morning before work and it was at about 8. I can use 10 ml of tank water to measure dKH in half point increments, I'm going to start doing that to try and keep the level more stable

Back