Help.......horrid looking Hitchhiker!!!

Rushy

Reefing newb
Guys

Noticed in the tank tonight, only briefly and sadly to brief to get a pic, a slightly unnerving looking hitchhiker. Couldn't work out if it was shrimp or worm like, because it only had it head and part of it's body poking out of a hole, but it definitely had feelers. However the most disturbing thing about it, was that as it retracted back wence it came, there was a constant cloud of something, almost smoke like that came back out the hole. I know it's all a bit vague, and will keep a watchful eye to try and get a pic, but does anyone have any idea what it could be?? Thanks as always :D

Well, the cloud was...sperm. So yeah, gross. When you see *poofs* of clouds in your tank, it means someone is trying to spread their seed. So that's not uncommon at all.

Try googling "mantis shrimp". Is it one of those?

Well, the cloud was...sperm. So yeah, gross. When you see *poofs* of clouds in your tank, it means someone is trying to spread their seed. So that's not uncommon at all.

Try googling "mantis shrimp". Is it one of those?

Gross Biffy!! That was a bucket load, I'll need to do a partial change just to neutralise, the cloud was going for a few minutes!!! Luckily I dont think it was a mantis or a pistol, quite possibly more wormish, but definitely not a bristle. Will keep a watch out, the camera is sitting next to the tank ready!!

Google pistol shrimp too.

Thanks Yote buddy, had a good trawl on the net and I'm pretty confident it wasn't a pistol or as Biffy alluded to a mantis. My first reaction was definitely oh sh*t, but I'm keeping a watchful eye out!

Gross Biffy!! That was a bucket load, I'll need to do a partial change just to neutralise, the cloud was going for a few minutes!!! Luckily I dont think it was a mantis or a pistol, quite possibly more wormish, but definitely not a bristle. Will keep a watch out, the camera is sitting next to the tank ready!!

Ever wondered just whats in the water while you was swimming?:mrgreen:

I am thinking of a very lewd response to that. But I'm too mature and sophisticated to actually say it. But I bet you can all guess what it is :D

All manner of worm manage to work their way into the average tank. I have 5 species of feather dusters (a type of worm) that came in on the rock or some other way.

Back