Hi, I'm new

Went by the shop just now and guess wat...
They are having P.imperators and paru for sale...and not to mention racoon butterflies and all the sweet stuff i was hoping to get...:grumble:

And my tank wont be ready for another 2 more weeks or so...:frustrat:

Australis remember Patience is Key in reefkeeping Tub style tanks are pretty popular in your area of the world if Im not mistaken? Am I correct?

Well not many people keep their fishes inside tubs anymore over here coz its not very pretty lookin. We choose this method coz we can have a bigger tank :mrgreen: greedy

So when i wanna watch them i have to go outside...:D

A little update
Just added in the salt today...32kilos of it. I bought Instant Ocean.
Also got a Weipro 2018 skimmer.

Need some pointers.
Used a simple hygrometer and it pointed at 1.017...and temps at 28C
Does that mean i need more salt or shud i leave it for the time being ?

If theres anyone out here that ones a Weipro...would like to know how to take it apart...:frustrat:

Thanks

You are going to need to let the salt dissolve for at least a day or two before you can get an accurate reading. Do you have pumps or powerheads in the tank to move the water around? High circulation will help dissolve it. Check again in a day, and add more salt until you get around 1.021 to 1.025.

Weipro, I do not believe I have ever heard of that brand name. Can you possibly post a photograph of it? Is 28 degrees Celcius about a standard for what you expect your temperature to run in your tank? That is 82.4 degrees Fahrenheit. Warm tank. It will be a little more challenging then most of us have to deal with usually, but not too high. For most of us that is around the highest temperature we have to deal with.

Hi guys
I just checked on the tub...
And its still at 1.017...
Refractometers ? I dont think i've seen anything like tat here...well to my knowledge tat is...if theres one, it usually wud be a bomb to get.
Used cichlid forum's tank calculator and the amount sits at 907L...
Currently running 2 powerheads...1 smaller one to agitate the gravel and a 3500L/hr pump blasting the surface...i did try to blast the gravel where the salt were still in cake form...din work much...so i changes the position.

However, KH readings at 9...am using SERA test kits though...

Also tossed in a couple of sacrifice fishes to see if the water's stable...they look alive till now...

please do not cycle a tank with live animals they will most likley die. why kill an animal that does not need to die.
just use a little fish food to start the cycle.

+1 Daughtry.

Check out marine depot or dr foster and smith,etc for refractometers. They will run you about 50 US dollars. Maybe check some of the japanese sites? Not versed at all in Eastern Aquaria! Sorry

WOke up in the morning...while it was still dark...checked the water and it went up to 1.018
I did add a lil salt yesterday...

And the two sacrifice fishes...are still alive...just wanted to see if the tank is habitable...tats all

The most common use of refractometers is by car mechanics. They are used to check the level of antifreeze in an automobile radiators. Perhaps your father knows some auto mechanics.

Anti freeze is also used in temperate zones to keep automobiles from overheating. It increases the waters ability to hold heat without boiling.

OK...now i see but we dont use refractometers here for that... the guy juz dumps in the can of coolant...and off we go...wierd huh :D

Update on the water parameters...added lots more salt...and it went up to 1.020. Added more salt into a fine meshed net near the surface and blast the powerhead at it...can i get a proper dilution from this method ?

The two cromis are doing well...tossed in some live bloodworms and they took it with no hassle. Will switch to pellet food later tomorrow. Oh and they started sparring already too.I forgot the scientific name but its the devilish type...the blue with a yellow tail chromis tat is...

Update on the water parameters...added lots more salt...and it went up to 1.020. Added more salt into a fine meshed net near the surface and blast the powerhead at it...can i get a proper dilution from this method ?
It will work. It is pretty stressful for the fish to change the salinity to quickly though, so you should add small amounts of salt, wait a little while and then add more. Try to make changes over a period of hours rather than minutes. Also you will be less likely to use to much salt if you add it gradually now that you are near where you want it to be.

Back