Hi new here and have question on black cap basslet and inverts

Hi @Aquarian and I wish I had not moved the basslet! The other three-until I can take back the two damsels and the psuedochromis are great but he seems really shy and bullied!
I am taking them to the lfs this weekend, that is if I can catch them and that will leave the purple psuedochromis and the blackcap in the 55g.
I guess things are better in the 120-no more shrimp disappearing rapidly, saw all that were left tonight when I fed.
I used the biosphere and the perimeters in both tank are good.
ph is 8.1
salinity is 1.025 in both tanks
calcium, magnesium, alkalinity all within range.
No signs of phosphate and the skimmers are really not pulling much from the tank.
I have the seachem purigen and the phosphate reactor on the 120 but nothing yet on the 55g-just haven't hooked it up yet.
I like the seachem reef salt and that is what I am using - unless I figure out a different one that is better.

Attachments

• 120g saltwater reef tank.july2014.jpg
    120g saltwater reef tank.july2014.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 355
  • 55g reef tank. july2014.jpg
    55g reef tank. july2014.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 401
I think so as well @ReeferRob. I like seachem and use it in my freshwater tanks.
I set up my sump on the 55g today but I did not catch one fish-back to setting up the trap so that I can maybe catch these guys. I am seriously thinking of moving one of the clowns into the 55g and catching the basslet and moving him back to the 120g.
Once in it is really hard to catch them. The only reason I caught the four was when I upgraded to the larger 120g from the 90g-otherwise, I probably would still have them all in the other tank.
The clowns appear to be arguing-circling back and forth-up and down the tank-what seems like all the time. Thoughts?

The clowns are likely sorting out the pecking order the dominate one will be the female and the other the male. If one does not submit then it could be fatal. I wouldn't worry about splitting them up unless one ends up shoved in a top corner of the tank.

You can make it easier to catch a fish using egg crate to divide the tank width wise. Taking a fish out usually sucks. I've found the best method is just to remove rocks and use the egg crate and slowly move in on the fish taking away it's places to hide.

They will hunt and eat your shrimp one by one until they are all gone. You can not keep those fish with shrimp.

Hi and welcome to Living Reefs
Wow really? I have one of those and they will eat my shrimps? I have pom pom crabs, and anemone shrimps etc. So I should probably get rid of the fish shouldn't;t I?

I am going to move the blackcap back to the larger tank, the 120g. I have moved both the clowns to the smaller tank for now. I think I like them in there better.
I almost had the basslet and then it leaped out of the net, so I guess I will be using egg crate and moving rock-I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that @Northstar24! Thanks for the info-hadn't thought of "herding" a fish! :)

Hi, I caught and returned the black basslet, the psuedochromis and the two damsels-they are all at the lfs. I know have 4 blue/green chromis, the rabbit fish, the coral beauty, yellow tang, two clowns, the goby and lawnmower blenny in the 120g tank and several inverts. My 55g is now a H erectus seahorse tank and has a sea hare for clean up. Need to figure out what other clean up crew to get for the 55g.

I'd have kept the Black Cap, but disposed of that Pseudochromis by any means possible. Use snails with the seahorses, hermit crabs are still crabs and they're predators.

Back