Hiiiii

baiblue

Reefing newb
Hello All i was recently given (5months ago :P) 70 gallon marine fish only tank it has a wet/dry system (i think) and two protein skimmers in the back and i added a "EHEIM Ecco Canister Filters" a week ago.. Anyways i joined this site hoping for receive advice on what esle do i need to add to the tank since i have more time to invest in the tank since im out of school and willing to learn more about salt water tanks and how to maintain them :)

ill add pictures of the filtration this after noon and pics of the tank too

anyways whats your option on a "copepod refugium" someone told me i should add that to my tank but i have no idea what it is or how to do it?

:^:

hi and welcome to the site,

from what i can tell the wet/dry and ecco filters do pretty much the same job. In a marine tank most people do not use either and opt for the Berlin method, which is Live rock with a protein skimmer. Canister filters may cause problems with nitrates and phosphates.

A copepod refugium is a good idea as it provides one of the many links of the food chain, however, unless you intend to keep a mandarin or another fish that specifically eats them, it is not necessary.

I would recommend you research a lot, get a good book, the conscientious marine aquarist by bob fenner is a good starter. Read this site, and others and you'll do fine.

Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of reef keeping!

i have about 50 lbs of live rock only but my filtration is weird it becuase its build in the tank ( has two sections for bio balls only) and its like two 35 gallon tanks together
heres a pic of it ill try to take a pic in the morning of the filtration hopefully someone on here can identify it or has one like it :D

sgut031.jpg

I saw in your other post that you have approximately 25 fish in that 70 gallon tank, including several tangs and angels. The first thing you need to do is get those fish out of there. You can keep 7 or 8 fish maximum in a tank that size.

Hello and welcome. I hate to hassle you in your first post, so don't take this the wrong way. I am simply trying to save you the heartache of losing prized fish. You have 4 tangs and a Koran/Imperator/Blue Face (I can't tell from the pic) in your tank. To properly house those fish, your really need to have a setup more in the 125-180 range. Your LFS will tell you differently, but those fish will become stressed from not having the room they need and will die before maturity. If this is news to you, please feel free to ask questions here, and seek help with your stocking plans. If you do plan to keep those 4, you need to start planning an upgrade because within a years time you are likely to start having troubles. Either way I wish you great success with your tank. It looks great.

As far as the fuge goes, they are a great way to stabilize your system and they are relatively easy to build. The idea is that you create and area where macro algae can flourish but without having to see it in your display. Macro algae utilizes the nutrients in the water so growing it in your fuge means less nutrients in the water column. Also it is a breeding ground for copepods and amphipods which are a natural food for some corals and fish. The other benefit to having a fuge is that every bit of additional water volume you can add to your system allows for changes that occur to happen at a slower pace, so you are less likely to have a system crash if you make a mistake. There really is no disadvantage to a fuge other than the space it will take up in your setup. You should go to our filtration section to read more, and learn how to build your own fuge. If you decide to go through with it, start your own build thread and seek advice here. We will gladly help you complete your build.

Last edited:
I saw in your other post that you have approximately 25 fish in that 70 gallon tank, including several tangs and angels. The first thing you need to do is get those fish out of there. You can keep 7 or 8 fish maximum in a tank that size.
Ninja!

I dont think he has quite as many as it appears, I think those are reflections, but I did count at least 4 tangs and 1 angel

Last edited:
Oh! I was just making the assumption based on the above pics. Sorry to challenge you on that one. Sadly, whether it's 1 or 8, none of those tangs or angels belong in that tank. You could do a smaller tang in a 70 by itself, but that tank is divided into two 35 gal sections which is not conducive to a tangs needs.

:grumble::shock::shock:WOW is all i can say. i said i was going to be nice to all new people that dont know whats going on so WOW, WOW :shock::shock: :frustrat::frustrat:

It's an epidemic of these pet stores with no regard for the animals needs, selling stuff to people who haven't taken the time to learn about everything yet, and therefore don't know any better. The really sad part is that if you have been to a petco lately, their staff is no more educated than the people they are selling to. They have completely abandoned their obligation to the animals well being and are 100% in it for the money. Not that this is anything new, but saltwater was always a bit taboo, because it was so expensive and there was so much mystery surrounding it all. It seems that with the advances we have made in the hobby, we are enabling this behavior.

it is not just the pet stores. its the people just beleving what ever they hear. do you belive a used car salesman when he tells you there is nothing wrong with this car that has 200k on it i knoiw i would not.

I agree with Daugherty. Yes, irresponsible store owners are partly to blame, but ultimately it is the responsibility of the buyer to make sure they know what they are getting into. You can not go through life always blaming someone else for your actions. Yes, a reputable, responsible fish store would have NEVER sold this person that many fish, but maybe he/she has been shopping at several different stores or online. Ultimately, you are buying these animals, you are housing these animals, and they are YOUR responsibility. YOU need to find out about their needs, how to take care of them, and how to responsibly keep them, and NOT pin that responsibility on someone else. No one is to blame for the condition of that tank and the poor shape that the animals are in but the tank owner themselves.

To take this thread even further off topic...

I think the hobby should be much more regulated and possibly a licensing system introduced. This would work by making everyone who wants to keep marines needing a licence before a shop can sell you anything. To get a licence you would need to take a test/go on a course which would give you the basic education to get you started. The only cost of the licence would be for the test/course.

It isn't gonna happen but it would stop a lot of the problems we see imo.

Seriously guys, I don't think we should JUMP on people right off like this. Advice is great and all but not if it's shoved down your throat! People are sometimes stubborn and don't listen to what they don't want to hear. There has got to be a BETTER way to come across without making someone feel stupid or threatened, when they first post. I know everyone means well, but....
JMO-sorry

Seriously guys, I don't think we should JUMP on people right off like this. Advice is great and all but not if it's shoved down your throat! People are sometimes stubborn and don't listen to what they don't want to hear. There has got to be a BETTER way to come across without making someone feel stupid or threatened, when they first post. I know everyone means well, but....
JMO-sorry

Did you see the other post with the pictures of the angel shredded to pieces and with a huge chunk missing out of its side? When you care about this hobby and these animals it's really difficult to not speak bluntly when people do stuff like that.

i am not trying to but something needs do be done and it is up to the OP to listen to the people to do the right thing that is all we are trying to say. there is just way to many fish in that tank let along some fish that get very big. i am very suprised that the angel is the only one that looks like that. please just remove all the fish and research before rebuilding.

Back