Hornet's 150 gal Ocean

I've got a new addition in the QT tank. Blue Zoo was having a sale last week that I could not pass up. I have to say Blue Zoo is running a class operation. I'm very satisfied with the shipping and the quality livestock I received. Blue Zoo also had a sale on a brain coral for $20 so I added that to my order. I'll post pics of the brain later on.

My 29 gal qt tank has a top and I've already made a screen for my DT but I just need to make some adjustments before I move "Oscar" over to the main tank after QT time is up.

Photo1-1.jpg

SCHWEET.
Those are awesome little fish.
But I'm afraid he's going to stress bigtime in that QT with no sand or rock to hide under.Just keep a close eye on him.

I've got a big tree root like plastic thingy that he likes to hide under. He usually stays under there but he's been coming out and roaming around the tank when I feed him.

he's one of my favorites. Before you put him in your tank start a hole for him and give him lots of shells and large rubble so he can build. He will be less stressed if he has a hole to start with. Good luck!

he's one of my favorites. Before you put him in your tank start a hole for him and give him lots of shells and large rubble so he can build. He will be less stressed if he has a hole to start with. Good luck!

Thanks I'm already aware of adding shells and rubble. But I've never read or thought about starting a hole for him. You mean I just need to poke a hole down in the sand bed?

I'm hoping that since he will be the only fish in my DT he wont be very stressed and have plenty of time to get his tunnels set-up before I add another fish

You want him in the front of the tank right?:D
If you'll start his hole for him,theres a better chance of him being out front so you can see him.

Yes, I'd like to have him set-up camp in the front on 1 of the sides of the tank. Based on his activity in the QT Oscar seems to like to stick to the side of the tank where he can see what's going on. I was doing some work in the room with the QT and whichever side of the tank I was closest too I'd glance over and he'd be there eyeballing me.

Here's a couple of shots of the brain coral picked up from Blue Zoo. They list it as a Lobophyllia Brain Coral-Multi Color It does not look like what I was considering a brain coral but what do I know I'm a newb :shock:

The second pic looks very stressed. It's not supposed to be retracted over it's skeleton like that. Make sure it's not in too much flow and that nothing is bothering it. You will love that coral once it gets established. They are beautiful.

I took the second pic the next day after I put it in the tank. I too was thinking it looked a bit stressed and was possibly getting to much flow. I then moved it to a location with less flow. That's where I took the second pic.

The second picture was taken when I first put the coral in the tank after acclimating. The first picture was taken about a week later, so I'm thinking it will be ok. I'm going to try and target feed it this evening after lights out.

The second picture was taken when I first put the coral in the tank after acclimating. The first picture was taken about a week later, so I'm thinking it will be ok. I'm going to try and target feed it this evening after lights out.
Yeah it was definitely not happy but it looks great in the 2nd pic and should do fine. It was probably just too much flow or acclimation was too quick.

My fallow period is over and I moved my Blue Spot Jawfish from the QT into the DT this weekend. I had a yeck of a time getting Oscar out of the QT tank. He had found a real good hiding space in the tree root I had in there. I had to ambush him first thing in the morning when he was roaming around the tank.

This week I'm going to start trolling the LFS's in search of my next fish. I'm thinking of another Kole or some other tang that will do well munching on the algea in my tank.

if your first kole tang is still alive then your going to need to buy two and introduce them at the same time or youll just be asking for a ton of trouble

Back