Hornet's 150 gal Ocean

Looks like you got a good plan going.
Like Piggy said,its better to build your CUC slowly,they way they dont end up starving.

Tanks been running for just a little over a month now and all seems to be well. The live rock I purchased was petty good because I never had a big cycle
I'm probably going to add my first fish this weekend. I'm thinking I may go with the readily available yellow tang. ACIII is now online:
rc_Hornet_sig.png

I'm loving the ACIII. Right now the main thing its doing is controlling my lights, but I want to automate a some other functions later on. I only have a DC8 and I could use 2 more outlets. Unfortunately there is no space to plug the fuge light into the DC8, so I've been turning it on manually every evening. I have some x10 modules that I use for Christmas lights and a couple of other things around the house so once I get around to it I'll trying setting up the fuge light to run off x10.

I also think I'm going to need to get a fan to get some air circulating beneath the stand. It warmed up the other day and I could not figure out why my tank temp shot up to 83. The next day I left the door to the stand open and the temp came down. I would have figured that since the back of my stand is open I would not have an issue. But I suppose the panworld and the Dart pump are creating a bit of heat with nothing to circulate the air out of the stand. I had been planning on putting a black cloth or something over the back of the stand to keep the fuge light from shining on the wall behind the stand but that's not sounding like a good idea anymore.

Just cut a couple of those little computer fans into the stand.One on each end with one blow fresh air in and the other blowing the warm air out.You could probably even set them up on your ACIII to come on when the water hits a certian temp.

Here's the first fish to be added to my tank! :^: Check out the Kole Tang, He has been quite active today pecking at rocks and sand.

DSC_1193_800x574.jpg

DSC_1200_800x574.jpg

Tank has not been going well. I'm getting a bit annoyed with things and I'm having one of those "I'm going to take the tank down and not put it back up days". Sad thing is I do need to take my tank down for at least a brief period.

To start my Kole came down with ich. When I first noticed the spots I was also having some micro bubble issues. I got the micro bubbles cleared up the next day and his spots were gone. I should have known it was not micro bubbles but I had another addition already in the QT (another story). About a week later spots came back and he stopped eating. I moved him too the QT for treatment that day. He seemed to be a lot more active and happy in the QT tank but he was dead the next morning. :(

This past weekend I decided to fix a small drip on one of the returns on my OM-4 way. I closed all the valves removed the OM4way and got the section of pvc fixed that was leaking. I also decided to pull out my dart pump and clean that too while I was at it. Just as I was screwing the pump connection back on, the valve opened up and I could not get it screwed on to save my life. It's amazing how fast water will flow out of a 2" pipe. Gravity is a mofo. Anyway I ended up draining about 40 gal's of water on the floor. Spent hours running the carpet shampooer sucking up water and emptying it. Carpet was about as dry as after we shampoo it, so I left my big garage fans running to help things along.

This morning I could feel a spot/bubble on the floor where the sub floor seemed to have expanded. Hence me saying earlier that I have to tank the entire tank down anyway. :( I can add a couple of other things but I've already typed enough gibberish for one post.

I'm feeling a little better about my tank after several mishaps/unfortunate events. I was pretty disgusted with my tank for a bit. If I had a small tank that I could have easily picked up and threw out the front door I would have set it out for trash :D. Because of the ich I'm letting the tank go fallow for at least 8 weeks. To do this and keep myself from buying something before the fallow period is over I've being staying away from my favorite saltwater websites and fish stores.

This past week I've started venturing back into the stores drooling over a possible fish I can place in QT so I can move it into the DT once it's ready.

My girlfriend also says the stand looks good. I just keep focusing on a few spots that did not stain well. I keep painting scrape pieces of wood with different colors and she always tells me to leave the stand like it is. I just know that once I fill this beast with water there is no turning back.[/QUOTE]

I agree with the girlfriend. Your stand looks great! Yo are going to have one impressive system. Can't wait to see it filled!

My girlfriend also says the stand looks good. I just keep focusing on a few spots that did not stain well. I keep painting scrape pieces of wood with different colors and she always tells me to leave the stand like it is. I just know that once I fill this beast with water there is no turning back.

I agree with the girlfriend. Your stand looks great! Yo are going to have one impressive system. Can't wait to see it filled![/QUOTE]

You must have been looking back on some of the earlier pages. I ended up painting the stand and we both thought it looked a whole lot better in the room. It's actually been up and running since April, I'm just going through a fallow period after a fish died from ich.

Last edited:
WELLL,What are your looking at Hornet?:D
You can always QT the new fish untill the fallowing is done.That you can keep an eye on it and make sure its good and healthy.

WELLL,What are your looking at Hornet?:D
You can always QT the new fish untill the fallowing is done.That you can keep an eye on it and make sure its good and healthy.

That's my plan. I won't be adding any more fish to my DT without going through the a QT period. My QT has been up and running since a few weeks before I lost my Kole. So it's all ready for a fish, I just need to find one. If my bank account survives the first of the month bill payments I may get something next week. Still not sure what I want to get but I may get me bluespot jawfish.

Sorry for all your troubles, Hornet. I guess I was on the wrong page earlier today. I have been through these discouraging trials too, as have we all. It sometimes makes you just want to give up on this hobby. I guess a lot do. I hope you stick with it. There will be better days ahead for sure. Good luck.

Before you invest in a bluespot jawfish,get some kind of small screen and make a top for your tank.Bluespots can jump through the eye of a needle and they actually enjoy carpet surfing.
They are awesome little fish though.Just too expensive for my blood.

Back